Celtic Square (Pokémon Square)

dabedaab

Dear OCR Community...

This is my second remix. I thought it a good idea to look at the "Requests" forum for ideas and found one from "DoubleBro7" that was both fun and challenging.

Here's the URL of the original tune on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/ZdZ6bwhCmms

Here's the URL to my remix of same:
http://www.homegrownhymns.com/Celtic_Square.mp3 <- This is the ReMix

Here's a screen shot of the remix in the DAW (helps explain the mix):Celtic_Square.jpg

My attempt was to focus on the Celtic feel I got from listening to the original. I tried to stay with the swing 12/8 feel and add triplets as spice. I also added harmony throughout and a new melody line in the middle.

Please provide feedback as I always find it helpful :razz:

Thanks...

dabedaab (Steve Snider)

I like the feel overall, and I especially like the mandolin.

I feel like it needs more variation. Perhaps have the harp trade off with some other lead instrument (a whistle or an accordion would be the first things I'd try). Also, the bass and rythm guitar feel a bit too samey throughout; a section in the middle where one or both drop out for a more exposed lead solo could work well to break that up. I also feel like it needs some higher-end percussion to balance out the bodhran, which is mostly mid and low end. A simple shaker would probably be all you'd need.

All in all, it just needs more variation. An acoustic, folksy song like this needs to breath, and this one sounds a little stale by the end.

It's an excellent start, though!

I agree that the mandolin is the highlight of the mix.  You also have a pretty good sounding cello in there.

My beef with what you have so far is that everything is DEAD CENTER making it almost a mono mix.  Of course i am not going to slam mono mixes, they can be done and done very well with careful EQ'ing.  I often switch an entire mix to mono via the master fader to take care of some careful EQ'ing when i am getting towards the final version of a mix.  What you have here though is everything trampling on each other instead of working together. Spread some of the instruments out, you might want to move the cello an octave lower.  Bouzouki an octave higher.  etc.  Then start working on the panning of the different elements.  You might want to double track the guitars, Maybe the harp.  Just about anything to make this more stereo would work.  

I also have a fairly huge thing for Irish music and a rather sickeningly psychotic obsession with Uilleann Pipes.  I wouldn't mind contributing some of what I have to this remix if you needed it. I just did this for the mega man competition currently being run by Darkesword if you want to check it out.  

https://soundcloud.com/ryandavismusic/is-e-mo-aingeal-imithe

Good luck finishing this!  i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for future updates. 

Garpocalypse... 

Thanks for the feedback. What you're saying has a familiar tone to what Geoffrey Taucer is saying (and I agree with you both). Seems sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees (not to mention I'm new at this). I will be working to get the end result from all feedback listed so far.

Interesting that you mentioned the Uilleann Pipes. I really wanted some in the mix but was unable to find what I considered suitable (at least considering the resources currently available to me). I'm going to look a little harder to see what I can find, but if I don't find a suitable sound I'd like to get your help. I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm sure you can tell me what you need (I've got the midi and the wave files).

BTW, I listened to your remix listed above. It sounds really good!

Thanks...

dabedaab (Steve Snider)

The rhythm feels off to me. From 0:00 to 0:15, the harp and bodhran don't feel quite in sync with each other. It makes more sense after 0:15 though. It's just an awkward start. That bodhran clashes with the bass though, and either the bodhran should have some high passing, or it should be sidechained with the bass to minimize the muddiness.

Not everything is dead center per se, but nothing feels significantly panned; at least some elements are wider than others, but there should be more meaningful panning. 1:29 feels awkward when that mandolin switches pan positions back and forth, so that is what I count as not-meaningful panning. It's like two people are alternating their playing, except they're playing almost identically. ;)

I agree that you have many instruments playing in the same octave and that contributes to the clashing. Isolate groups of instruments that have similar EQ ranges and consider what qualities of each instrument you want to prevail.

timaeus222

Thanks for the feedback! You've helped me before :razz:   

I think I know why the first 15 secs. of rhythm are clashing (I need to rethink that section).

Also, I intend to work on "meaningful" panning and definitely keeping all instruments out of the same EQ / Octave range.

I did some reading about side-chaining as a result of one of your earlier posts. I understand the concept, but don't have the software or hardware needed to do that. From what I read, it would appear that FL Studio could perform that functionality. I can do the "high pass" though. I'll work with that.

I'm in the process of working on the remix.

Thanks...

dabedaab (Steve Snider)