Remixer Name: Tensei-San

E-mail Address: Ayato_kamina1@hotmail.com

UserID: 46758

ReMix Info:

Name of Game Remixed: Chrono Trigger

Name of Song Remixed: Tyran Castle

Link to Original Soundtrack:

Own Comments:

Well, everyone has to start somewhere and I hope this ReMix will be good enough to make it on the site, and sound the start of my career as a RemiXer. Anyways, to cut the chatter: I've been wanting to make a ReMix for a long time, having all the appropriate software, and musical knowledge to boot.

The song of choice IMO tips the scales between originality and recognizability, given that it's from one of the most often RemiXed games on the site, and on the other hand never has been RemiXed before (at least not as far as I could see)

I've tried to retain the original atmosphere, alternating between strings, french horns, and a choir, to overdriven guitar and a steady rock beat, and ultimately mixing both together. The bass in the original piece was already very good, so I've tried to live up to that by taking some of the original bassline and mixing it with some new riffs. The Dinosaur sounds are somewhat gimmicks, but at least they bring on the right atmosphere ;)

Well, that's all I've got to say, hope this gets admitted :D

P.S.

I'm extremely sorry about not being able to implement all requested Id3V2 tags, but I simply couldn't find one program that allowed me to tag the original album or the lead artist. Also, since I'm not sure whether the ReMix can be downloaded from the link, I've Attached the MP3 to this e-mail as well, just in case, sorry about that.

P.P.S.

I'm not a native English speaker, in case you hadn't noticed, so forgive any mistakes in spelling, grammar and expressions. ;)

Yours sincerely,

Tensei-San

• 3 weeks later...

I can't seem to download this one - only play it via the embedded player. Anyway;

Unfortunately, while I hear some interesting arrangement ideas here and there, this for the most part is well-below our bar. Very rigid sequencing across the board, low quality samples, relatively poor production (no real use of effects, muddy, weird mixing between the parts), and obviously fake-sounding parts like that guitar later on. The original material added was a nice thought but the rhythms were usually very simple and thus the parts came across as somewhat boring or plodding. I would give more specific times on where these parts are, but Putfile's embedded player make sthat more difficult. The dinosaur sounds panned hard right didn't add much, either.

Don't be discouraged, however. I encourage you to make use of our resources at the ReMixing forum to find better samples and learn how to use those samples in a more realistic manner. I also suggest visiting the WIP forum to get feedback before submitting, so you can fine tune your mix and fix problems before it gets to us. Keep at it.

NO

The dinosaur really sounds kind of cheap...doesn't add much to the track.

The samples are used quite inappropriately. The attack on the strings, vocals, and guitars sound very artificial and awkward.

The composition is somewhat disjointed..parts come in and out at random. There's no direction, as the arrangement sounds slapped-together. To your credit, some of the tensions in the middle are evocative, but the track just needs to be more cohesive.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Tyran Castle" (ct-3-02.spc)

Not a fan of the source tune; only the chorus was solid to me. Anyway, opened with some cheap dinosaur SFX. Moved over into some sequenced strings and vox at :11, all sounding pretty rigidly sequenced, like the others have readily pointed out. Beats from :45-:53 were completely out of place, followed by a complete change in the piece's tone which made 0 sense.

Yeah, I'm gonna take the quickest exit out. Everything's really empty, mechanically sequenced and unrealistic sounding, plus the arrangement is on crack. It has no flow to it whatsoever; pretty much every transition was ridiculously jarring, plus the instrumental textures didn't piece together well at all.

Ambitious, but ultimately very poorly executed. I'm more disappointed in the lack of musicality with the various instrument choices than the arrangement being so haphazard.

NO