OCR01544 - *YES* Sonic & Knuckles 'iMushroom'

Liontamer

Hello!

This is one of my two tracks in "Project Chaos", the Sonic 3 & Knuckles arrangement project. I included both songs in this mail for your convenience. I would like to share some info on the two songs that maybe can be posted when they get released. These are writeups for Project Chaos, anyways, i thought id share them in case there are any use for them...

iMushroom:

This is a solo-heavy song with a nice funky feeling. I started working on the song over one and a half year ago, so youll notice the song evolves technically as it progresses through time. There are some really cool stuff that were cut off. One of those was a rippin synth/guitar solo, but it ended up sounding too much like castlevania so... Heavy creds to my brother (chillalot), who helped me funk up the last section's drums! I also would like to thank everybody that commented on this song through the long creation-time; Ichitootah, Dryer Lint, Binster, voh, link12584, unrheeyl, vilecat and Antipode.

Best regards// Steve

Remixer name: GaMeBoX

Email: djdolber@gmail.com

Game remixed: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Songs remixed: "Mushroom Hill", "Knuckles theme"

Name of remix: iMushroom

LINK

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "Mushroom Hill Zone" & "Knuckles' Theme (Sonic 3)"

Opens up rather abruptly and tepidly with the Mushroom Hill Zone stuff. Not really feeling the percussion there, but oh well. Nice changeup at :17 though, even though the texture still seems really empty.

Steve messed with some of the progression of the original with the variation at :27. Some guitar synth-like stuffs at :45 that's decent, but the texture still sounds really thin regardless. It's somewhat of a holdover issue from his previous OC ReMix, Mega Man 2 "The Fifth Season".

1:03 builds off the Mushroom Hill Zone before seguing into some seemingly original material at 1:21. Tight usage of the Knuckles' theme at 1:40 at the foundation of the track. Some flat-out weird synth soloing was on top of that and didn't seem to have much rhyme or reason. Definitely could have used more direction.

Switches back into the chorus of Mushroom Hill Zone nicely as the Knuckles theme faded out nicely. Some more variations on the theme. Even though I'm not really feeling the arrangement choices as much as others would, I have to give props to the constant instrumental variations here used to keep things fresh.

Nice ideas at 3:37 for the last section, though the transition to it was too abrupt IMO. In any case, this was a very liberal/mostly original take with Mushroom Hill as the base going toward the fadeout close.

Not my cup of tea, but the work put into the arrangement was good; good instrumet variation, and very personalized handling of the source material. I still think Steve's stuff tends to sounds a bit thin, and that the arrangement could sound less meandering, but he's certainly getting the job done.

YES

I thought we had a rule against submitting two pieces at once? I guess it'd take that long to judge this that it doesn't really matter. ;) (self-zing)

Another great GaMeBoX minimalist style mix. This one seems to have a bit more going on in terms of arrangement than the other two tracks of his I've heard.

The beats are less dominant in this one, and just seeming to keep the groove up until 1:40 where that switch-up comes along. The bassline in this mix reminds me of my old Jazz-Jackrabbit days where the composers weren't afraid of just taking a simple grooveline and looping it over some beats while the rest of the instrumentation takes care of the variation.

I like this a lot. There's something new around every corner and it's always good.

You should've been born 10 years earlier, GaMeBoX. This is the kind of music I would've liked to hear in a game.

YES

• 2 weeks later...