Project:M - Main Theme Remix

NyxTheShield

I replied on the YT vid, but YT isn't really the place for in-depth feedback.  Had no idea you posted here too, but I love it!  I'm also the guy who wrote the source, so I'm a little biased :P

It sounds pretty heavy in the lows/low-mids, especially with the combination of the low piano and low strings.  I think you're getting a little mud from the two together, and it may be to the track's benefit to either make some concessions with part writing when both get a little busier, or to reexamine your EQ on the two instruments (possibly both).  I love how the two work together, especially the lead cello stabs, they're just fighting each other really hard right now in the lower range.

You may also be getting some unwanted compression from the drums, particularly the kick.  You can hear it on the higher piano notes especially, they're pumping just a bit.  A common thing with kicks is to have the subs boosted REAL high without really being able to hear it, since that's a range that typically gets fairly bad response in most headphones or speakers (if you don't have a sub).  I LOVE the drum groove itself, it's exactly what it needs to be.  I'm grooving all the way through, so no complaints on the part-writing there either.

Hope that helps a bit!  Again, love all the extra nods to the Melee theme you snuck in, and thanks for making the 'mix :D

I replied on the YT vid, but YT isn't really the place for in-depth feedback.  Had no idea you posted here too, but I love it!  I'm also the guy who wrote the source, so I'm a little biased :P

It sounds pretty heavy in the lows/low-mids, especially with the combination of the low piano and low strings.  I think you're getting a little mud from the two together, and it may be to the track's benefit to either make some concessions with part writing when both get a little busier, or to reexamine your EQ on the two instruments (possibly both).  I love how the two work together, especially the lead cello stabs, they're just fighting each other really hard right now in the lower range.

You may also be getting some unwanted compression from the drums, particularly the kick.  You can hear it on the higher piano notes especially, they're pumping just a bit.  A common thing with kicks is to have the subs boosted REAL high without really being able to hear it, since that's a range that typically gets fairly bad response in most headphones or speakers (if you don't have a sub).  I LOVE the drum groove itself, it's exactly what it needs to be.  I'm grooving all the way through, so no complaints on the part-writing there either.

Hope that helps a bit!  Again, love all the extra nods to the Melee theme you snuck in, and thanks for making the 'mix  :D

I just noticed that you are THAT Phonetic Hero hahahaha I feel kinda dumb now, i am glad you enjoyed it!

I don't have mixing headphones for the time being, i am using an ancient Pioneer Stereo (And by ancient, i mean this have been around in my house BEFORE i was born) connected to my interface, so i will save any equalizing tips for when i buy headphones hahaha (But now that you mention, yeah the kicks are compressing a bit, i will look into it). I don't have a sub either so that might be a problem (But i think i cutted everything below 40hz and above 18k)

Again, i am glad you enjoyed it c:

The source is really cool, and easily fits the Smash Bros franchise. Never heard it before. I really should look into Project M. I don't know what ocr's stance on a Project M original as source is, so this could be nixed just on that. But I don't know.

Piano sounds wrong. I can't put my finger on why, but there's something off with it. I think it's the timings that are too mechanical, but it's really hard to say. It doesn't sound sufficiently performed. It could be an issue with the piano sound itself, like a lack of velocity layers. Can't say for sure what it is, but there's something.

It's a nice groove, but it doesn't really feel like it's going anywhere. Skipping forth and back, the only differences I hear is small changes to intensity, but nothing in the progression itself changes. It sounds like layers of loops entering and exiting. There's nothing wrong with a track that's built on a single chord progression or a single beat, but the more repeating things you have, the more repetitive the track becomes. For this track, it's too much. I would look into changing up the chords, finding a set of chords to use for a B part for some variety.

The ending just cuts off. Not acceptable. Nothing wrong with a simple stop like that, but you gotta let the audio tails die out.

Not ocr level at this point. Nice groove, cool source, some nice effects in there. Has potential. Nice work.