*NO* Dance Dance Revolution 6th Mix 'Max 300 (Glitch Mix)'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: DJ SymBiotiX

E-mail: djsbx@hotmail.com

User ID: I believe its 42156

Game Remixed: Dance Dance Revolution -Max- 6th Mix

Song Remixed: Max 300

Info: It was made by Naoki Maeda under the Omega psudonym. He created it as a new "boss" song for the 6th mix of Dance Dance Revolution.

Link to the original: http://www.djsbx.com/othermusic/MAX%20300.mp3

Link to the remix: http://www.djsbx.com/musics/Max%20300%20-Glitch%20Mix-.mp3

(Could you keep the link to my remix in the judging page?)

Comments: Well, after my last attempt at remixing a DDR song for OC ReMix, I decided to go in to a different direction and do something that has never been done before. I believe that my remix of Max 300, is one of the most original remixes of it out there. I took the original, slowed it down and created a glitchyish version of Max 300. I of course use some melodies from the original max 300, but most of the rest is original stuff, giving this remix a completely different sound than usual max 300 remixes.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I know the original is crazy, but 8O This mix starts off weird! At 0.05 we get a taste of what is to come. At 0.13 I thought my soundcard was breaking, but it was the song. 0.45 brings a nice, albeit overcompressed groove on things. I like the breakbeat stuff a lot. The tempo change was a relevant touch. I thought that at the end you should have let the reverb tail off naturally instead of fading it out, although that's a small point.

I really don't like that bit at 0.13 cause it sounds like digital clipping, even though it isn't clipping at all. Apart from that, even though this mix is loud, in your face and 'overbeaty', I like this better than the source tune, which makes me feel like I'm about to die. I'm not sure whether this will pass, but I'm saying

YES

DDRMAX Dance Dance Revolution 6th Mix Original Soundtrack - (143) "Max 300"

Thanks for providing the original. The album has two versions of the track, but Fernando of course provided us the DDRMAX version. Even the original sounded overcompressed; not my style, but a cool original. Pay attention to :13-:26 of the original, as SymBiotiX basically arranges that as his melody and then uses several instrumental variations of it. Pretty liberal arrangement of that portion from the original, IMO.

Intro opens up for the first 6 seconds with some direct sampling of the original, before playing some crud at :06 and proceeding to purposefully destroy it with some effects.

Picks back up at :25 with a different style of synths, though I didn't like that lead melodic synth, which was very generic. Good changeup in the focus of the track at :54 to a new variation of that source riff, before referring to the arranged melody from 1:12-1:25 and then going to more of an organ/e-piano-ish deal. Following that up with another variation of that liberally arranged source riff at 1:37. Despite not liking some of the sound/production choices, the track developed well indeed.

Soundfield was rather gritty, but decently produced; there's not too many things going on at once, but the soundscape seems filled up most of the time. Gonna sound like a jerk, but that dnb percussion sample at 1:01 sounded way too generic, since I've heard it a billion times before. It's also (arguably) too loud at the expense of hearing everything else, which didn't help. To me, it's a negative.

Perhaps just for me, the track can either be really gritty and compressed or have a supporting element loudly dominate over the other parts, but I'd honestly prefer only one or the other going on at the same time. I'm not trying to say that you can't send in stuff in this style, I just don't think you pulled it off quite well. The track's a bit too overcompressed-sounding. zircon had some good insights when I ran the track his way, so I hope to hear his full POV.

You'll need to correct me if I'm wrong Fernando, and point out the specifics of how you directly arranged the parts of the original; the arrangement seems a bit liberal. As far as I can tell, you're arranging :13-:26 of the original in a very liberal way, doing several (good) instrumental variations of that riff and that's basically it. The arrangement of that riff is good, but I think the connection's a bit too tenuous. You already greatly overhauled that melody to the point where you need some other direct/overt references to the original to reign it back in.

Solid dynamics and instrumental variation to keep the track fresh most of the way. Good writing. Perhaps tinker with some of the more generic sounding instruments (lead synth at :25, dnb drums at 1:01). Work on making the arrangement less liberal while also looking at the production and sound balance a bit. You're easily on the right track, and I like seeing how you've improved, Fernando. Keep working on this one and send it back.

NO (rework/resubmit)

This is a tough call. The arrangement here is quite liberal in that it takes only one or two melodic elements from the original, repeats them, and then does otherwise unrelated stuff. The very beginning just appears to be processed direct sampling, too, and the ending was more or less identical to the original's ending. Looking at the big picture I think more could have been done with the actual original itself... the mixer did add a lot of material to fill out the whole piece, it's just that the additions were not related enough.

I also thought the production was off. The amount of compression on everything made my head spin, seemingly in the lower freqs in particular. I don't really object to the lofi + distortion used since that's a stylistic choice, and one that artists like tefnek and Beatdrop have made also. However, the sound balance here, whether it's because of heavy compression or not, doesn't sound right to me and really detracts from what I'm listening to. Also, I didn't really like the percussion. It's more or less simple kick/snare stuff without any sort of additional layers that would have really added to it.

I do think that there is a place for this style on OCR. We've accepted some far out stuff, in terms of both arrangement and production, in the past. ReMixers like Mazedude and Shnabubula come to mind in particular. However, I think this could have been more refined in both arrangement and production. I encourage a resubmit.

NO

This track on its own, is fairly strong. It's a good listen, and it's well-produced. Good break-type stuff. However, in my opinion the link to the original is thin. There isnt that much to the original to begin with, and this seems to sample it in some places, but there's nothing about the original that is very fundamental to the track.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not sure this track works. we can blame that on the original being kinda of whacky and sparse. the original itself has no true direction and the arrangement falls into the same pitfall...

it is got some pretty good ideas but the overall effect is that it doesn't really do much with the original but borrow a couple of ideas and go on a stagnant tangent, hardly developing past slowing down ridiculously early on (love the dense distortion) and then speeding up at the end and while these parts are cool, they do not save this sinking ship that lies in between.

sorry but no dice.

NO