*NO* Metroid Prime 2 'Stir of Echoes'

Liontamer

http://www.ocremix.org has my permission to create a link to my song. I've heard stuff about how people forgot to give you guys permission to host a link, also it wasn't in the submissions but oh well, there is my official permission.

Link to Remix: http://media.putfile.com/Metroid-Prime-2-Echoes-Stir-of-Echoes-OC-Remix

Link for downloadable version (will only be up for 7 days):

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: avaris

Email: swallace21@hotmail.com

UserID: 88369

ReMix Info:

Game: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Songs: Main Theme

Source Tune Link:

Midi File:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/index-gr.html

System GameCube

Composer: Kenji Yamamato

Year: 2004

Alrighty, I took a year off from mixing and music completely, mainly bc I lost my version of Fruity Loops 3 and I moved 6 times (don't ask). During that period I came across this site, and well you know how the rest of it goes. Recently I got my hands on FL Studio 6, and decided it was time to get back in the game. I chose this mix for two main reasons, the source tune sounded completely wicked on my bro's home theater system, and nobody has done it yet. Ironically I wanted to be original.

I decided to take an ambient approach and slow everything down, while still keeping the melody relevant and in the foreground. You can only listen to a mix so many times before everything in it just sounds the same to you, so I really gotta thank everyone in the WIP forums and #ocrwip for providing me with good feedback or swift kicks in the ass when I could no longer provide feedback or kicks for myself.

• 4 weeks later...

This track had an excessively muddy feel overall, throughout. At first, I thought it was my headphones, but then I ran it through my speakers, and the problem persisted. Sounds like there might be some compression issues as well, that bass kick, especially.

There's a huge lack of momentum going on here. It just seems like the mix was dragging too much of the time rather than heading in a particular direction. 2:23 started to sound pretty cool, then when the melody kicks in at 2:37, it's like when you have the TV on in one room, and the radio in another, and you can't decide which to follow. That is to say, the melody is clashing with the rhythm/beats and accompanyment. Also, there is not much of a bass line/part to speak of anywhere, and it leaves the bottom half of the sound completely high and dry.

In light of the haunting vibe of the source, you've put a lot of ambience into your work, and it could yet pay off. I advise you to seek specific assistance on the production issues (primarily EQ/mastering) as well as encourage you to come up with a more solid idea of where you'd like this piece to go. (And I don't mean to imply that you didn't have any idea at all; it's just that it seems that way from a purely listener standpoint, you kind of led us around with no clear destination.) Even ambience needs direction. Also, the piano and synth flute(?) were the only 2 leads, and they really didn't go anywhere. I was glad to hear the song pick up it's feet and move at 2:23, and then it just sort of changed it's mind.

NO

I'm glad to hear you used the WIP resources. Perhaps taking a break and coming back wouldn't be a bad way to approach this one. When you come back, you may find you have some fresh new ideas.

Metroid Prime 2 (Game Rip) - 01 "Title Theme"

Interesting take on it. It removes the beat structure that drove the original along and goes for a much more ambient style on it. Soundfield is pretty good all things considered, allowing rather minimalist instrumentation to adequately fill out the track, though things were noticeably muddy and rough to me.

Heard the arrangement of the phrase from :18-:28 of the source at :47 with the piano, although it seemed to awkwardly change a bit around around 1:00-1:15. Decent hollow phasing-type effect supporting that from :47-1:42.

The piano performance is meant to sound ominous, although the plinky, one note at a time playing style doesn't quite click, and is a bit rigidly sequenced. Nonetheless, good attempt at varying the intensity of the notes in the attempt to humanize the performance.

It may just be me, but the arrangement seemed to wander in no particular direction; it wasn't until 2:12 when the title theme played that the melodic content had more of a direction to it. From 2:39-on, the arrangement again went off into no particular direction. Not sure the phrase at 3:26 was even in the right key.

Cool concept for the ending at 4:00 though; again, a bit too muddy and also too reliant on the effects to carry merely decent sequencing. The writing there could be considered a bit anticlimactic, but I thought it was reasonable.

Generally, not much in the way of direction or dynamics though. It would help to have one or the other. Cutting down a bit on the swampiness of the whole thing would be beneficial, but your main focus should be reworking the arrangement first. Reading BGC's vote just now, we hit a lot of the same issues independent of each other. Keep improving, bro.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The arrangement doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I like the use of ambient sounds, they are used well here, although some eq to shelve off some of the low frequencies would have prevented it from sounding so muddy in parts. The piano in the beginning spoils it for me - as Liontamer said, very plinky plonky; I think the piano used near the end of this mix is of much better quality and would work better with the other ambient instrumentation.

As the mix begins to pick up, I can hear parts where it is ducking, as though too much compression has been used, and it's even more pronounced once the kick comes in.

Overall, I find myself in complete agreement with what has already been said. Not bad at all, but some more work on the arrangement and mastering of this is needed.

NO