*NO* Phantasy Star 2 'Rise and Triumph!'

Liontamer

Greetings.

A few years ago, I submitted a song but it never got to the consideration part. Maybe you guys did not like, maybe I did something wrong.

Long story short, I have made several Phantasy Star remixes over the years and my friends keep bugging me to try again, so here.

* Your ReMixer name : Aeroprism

* Your real name : Sebastien

* Your email address :

* Your website : none

* Your userid (number, not name) on our forums : None yet.

· Name of game(s) ReMixed : Phantasy Star 2

· Name of individual song(s) ReMixed : Rise or Fall (original) Rise and Triumph (remix)

· Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc. : N/A

· Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site: N/A

· Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: One of my favorite songs, it was only natural that I start with this one. Made with Reason 2.5, inspired a little by a midi track I once heard. Close to the original one, I didn't feel like going too far on this one. Some of the other PS remixes I did are more original but it was important for me to submit this one first. I tried to keep a Genesis feel to the drums and I figured that trumpets would be the last instrument people would expect hearing in this song's chorus.

Anyways, here it is.

Have a good one!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aeroprism

Phantasy Star 2 was one of my favorite soundtracks from the PS series, and I'm pretty familiar with it. So, it's clear to me that you're telling the truth - you really didn't go too far from the original here. And, unfortunately, that's no good when you're submitting to OCR. Check out the following page about our submission standards;

http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

In order for a ReMix to be acceptable by today's standards you need to add a significant level of individual interpretation. Changing instruments or even adding new instruments is not sufficient, thought it might have been earlier in the site's history. In this mix, you stick to the exact structure of the original, the same tempo, the same rhythms, and the same general feel. There are two repetitions of this before you get to 2:44 or so when you just drop out some layers and basically repeat things again. You need to focus more on varying the source tune in a meaningful way, and adding your own material.

There are a lot of ways you can do this, but the best thing I can suggest is to listen to recently posted ReMixes of songs you know to see how they took the original and went in a new direction. Then, visit our Works in Progress forum or go to #ocrwip on IRC to get feedback before you submit.

I'd also like to mention the production briefly. Reason has some good samples, synths, and effects, so I think if you're using it you'll be OK. However, in this song, things were sequenced in a very mechanical manner, and there was an excessive amount of reverb on everything. Many of the sounds (like the drums) were also very plain and not interesting to listen to. These production issues are not as pressing as the arrangement, but nonetheless, I recommend a visit to the ReMixing forum to brush up on this.

NO