*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Corridors of Time (Losstarot Mix)'

djpretzel

Pretty straightforward from an arrangement perspective... and of course, the mix title.

- djp

---

Submission Information

• Chrono Trigger
  • Chrono Trigger - "Corridors of Time" (Losstarot Remix)
  • Corridors of Time
  • I was inspired by the SQChips series of remixes. This one has been in my head for a while and I finally decided to do it.
  • Download: 
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Dave is right, this is a very straightforward approach in a lot of ways. There's definitely a coolness factor in hearing Corridors of Time adapted to a chip-house style like this, but to be honest I don't feel like there's a lot of polish or nuance to your approach. For a 5 minute remix, I'm hearing a lot of repetition and looping without very much variation, and several rehashed transitions throughout the track. I'm getting some serious déjà vu listening to this - after the first minute or two, it doesn't seem like you're introducing anything fresh to the table.

The production is also lacking in polish - for example, your choir patch has a very unrealistic attack/decay, and many of the other synths are dry and lacking any sort of expressiveness.

Sorry to say, I'm not feeling this arrangement much - it doesn't do much to differentiate itself from the original source tune, and the repetitive structure of the arrangement isn't really doing it for me. There's a lot of potential in this style but I would strongly recommend hitting up our Workshop Forums for some more specific one-on-one feedback! Good luck.

NO

I LOVE this idea.  But Wes is right, the execution isn't there.  The main arpeggio is so plain and simple, the square-ish synth itself is simple and unexpressive.  Wow, that first lead is unexpressive too, and the backing arp keeps going.  Everything is dry as a bone.  The sidechaining is good, though.  I think this idea holds a ton of promise, it just needs more polish and probably better sounds.  At the very least, that lead sound needs to be better.  Some variation on the lead writing would go a long way to making this arrangement more personalized too, right now it is verbatim to the source and very repetitive.  I'd say take this opportunity to up your production game, really make these sounds pop, get some good advice on mixing, add variation to the writing and arrangement, and I'd love to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

I mostly enjoyed the sounds you used here. I will say some like the trance synth were are a bit too "shiny" for my taste (too much high end). This made the track feel a bit unbalanced in the sense there was more happening in the top than the low end, but after a few listens your bass was compensating fairly well. Your kick is noticeably strong which is needed for a mix like this, and from a mixing standpoint all of your parts are audible.

Your biggest issue here is the arrangement is very repeaty - which in the mix's current state, doesn't justify the length. When things break down and build up again, the same ideas are used like your synth drops and white noise tails. I would've really liked to hear you play around with some different ideas when transitioning between your sections as you go along. This along with some general synth tweaking over time would break the repeating nature of the track. Definitely a good start but this needs more development.

NO