*NO* Devil Hunter Yohko: The Seven Bells 'Sword on Fire!'

djpretzel

Actually really cool... sorta wild west vibe to it, then some unexpected jazz flourishes. I liked it; need to make sure source is VGM and not arranged from the anime, if possible.

- djp

---

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name : Juan Huayamares
  • Your real name: Juan Huayamares
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website: don't have one.
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 32473

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged: Mamono Hunter Yohko: Makai Kara no Tenkosei / Devil Hunter Yohko: The Seven Bells
  • Name of arrangement: Sword On Fire!
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Volcano - stage 2
The original composer is Keiichi Yamamoto and the platform is sega genensis/mega drive.

heres the original music: (BTW youi don't have it on your website) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsY6XDQ3nPg
  This game is incredbly underrated, and I think the cause is the duration of only 5 tages to complete. but the music is AWESOME..i am a fan of this for about 23 years, since I first played it. the music of all stages got stuck on my mind!!   I have done this arrangements several times, but this is the first time I got to play guitar, mini moog and added a LIVE twist on it!! I tought the song deserve it somehow! Also this will be the first remix of devil hunter on your website..i think it's important, almost the same of what i've done to the valis remix years ago.   I intended to do some kind of disco/jazz version of the song...but saved the original melody, wich is so good and added some twists and turns with the guitar and live drums...also there's a saxofone!! =)) hope you enjoyed as much as I do. sincerelly Juan

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

I searched for as many different songs as I could from the anime to verify if this is from the anime or from the game, and I couldn't find a relation.  I found 4 songs from this soundtrack but not all.

Right off the bat there are production issues.  The compression on the mix is way too hard, affecting the drums pretty harshly. but the overall mix is being affected by this also.  This adds certain roughness to the arrangement but I think the sound would benefit by the clarity that softening the compression will bring.  I also think the hats could be EQ'd better, the drums are almost all hats and the snare is distant and mostly consists of low-mid resonant frequencies.  Your live performance is on point though, I didn't hear any sloppy sections.

The arrangement though, it's really great.  A lot of personality, roughness and a slight latin jazz feel on top of wild a west romp.  I'm very happy with the different changes throughout the song, implementing the source's sections in ways that make sense for your arrangement, i.e., 01:16.  There's a lot of detail in the background, albeit obscured by the busy and hot mix.  Expansions on the original like at 2:10 spice up the mix very well.  I dislike very much fadeout endings, although they're not a dealbreaker.

Overall this is a remix that oozes originality but it's being held back by production.  If something could be done about the fadeout ending that'd be great.  Clean up your mix and use compression levels that are more sensible and we'll have one  really creative remix on OCR.  But for now, 

NO (please resubmit!)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/05/24 - (1N) Devil Hunter Yohko: The Seven Bells 'Sword on Fire!'

Yeah, really enjoying the arrangement overall, but a lot of times it's tough to hear the details due to the compression and some balance issues. The hats and ride cymbal are really prominent, as well as the guitar in some sections (1:18 for example). Toning those back will let some of the other details show through that are being covered up right now. 

I do feel like some of the backing parts feel a little mechanical and could use to be humanized. The stiffer parts stand out against the leads and jazzier sections.

Good start here, but the production needs to be cleaned up. Definitely check out our WIP forums to get some more feedback and advice.

No (resubmit)

I agree that the production is definitely what's holding this back, and that the biggest culprit is very probably the compression on the drums. The ride cymbals, the hi-hats (especially the open hits) and the cymbals at around 1:15 and 2:44 take a LOT of room in the mix, and the over-compression makes them feel quite awkward in my opinion. I think toning them down would give much more space to breathe for the other instruments. You could also try EQ'ing out a bit of the mids/low-mids especially on that ride cymbal, I think that could help a bit as well. The drum sequencing seems good, although it's hard to analyze your velocity work with all this compression.

Apart from that, it's hard to tell what else could be improved, as currently the drums are overpowering everything else. The arrangement is great, and the fade out didn't bother me as much, although I agree that writing an ending could maybe bring the arrangement value up a small notch, if it's well executed. Source usage is definitely very recognizable, too, so that's great.

Bottom line, the arrangement is nice but the drums really need some fixing. If you're unsure about how to proceed, I also recommend heading to the WIP boards if you want some more help. Please send this back!

NO (resubmit)

• DaMonz locked this topic