*NO* Earthworm Jim 'Whip Your Head'

Chimpazilla

Name: Alex Shtokalko

Remixer: HoboKa
Source: Earthworm Jim_Whip Your Head
Composer: Tommy Tallarico
Description:
Did a funky electronic, mostly conservative remix with lots of 90's feels.  It is a bit on the short side, but I feel that it's just long enough to be a worthy candidate.  What do you guys think?

---------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 months later...

Nice source! I like that you broke up some of the elements of the track and introduced them over time, gave the track a bit of a different feel. Overall I feel like this track suffers from a lot of repetition; the backing piano part, the bass line, the drums all feel like they're on autopilot. Similarly, the production overall is pretty mechanical, I'd love to hear this humanized and varied throughout. Dynamically things could be adjusted as well, the track feels like it's at the same volume throughout, and maybe a breakdown or something similar will help.

Overall I can't say I'm feeling this one as-is, Alex. I think it's a good start, but overall could use some expansion and variation.

NO (resubmit)

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2015/04/07 - (1N) Earthworm Jim 'Use Your Head'

Ah I remember this, I participated in this PRC.  very nice source.  

Source usage is pretty evident.  I would've liked to hear more interpretation in the arrangement.  Although you did inject new elements to the backing harmonies, the main melody and structure are pretty close to the original, I would've liked to see you shake things up more.  The arrangement is also too straightforward and there aren't any noticeable peaks and lows throughout.  It's not a big problem in my opinion, as there is a constant rise until the end, but this can also feel monotonous.

The production could've been better as well.  The drums don't quite mesh together, and feel more like a disparaged selection of samples put together.  Try to bring your drums together in a cohesive manner by selecting samples that play better with each other, and bus them.   I liked the added tension from the piano, but it was too mechanical and expressionless.  Not a fan of the bass at 0:43, sounds too cheesy compared to the rest of the mix, same with the overdriven bass at 1:15, and some of the pads were equally out of place (i.e. 1:00).  

I also agree with DA regarding humanization, as not only the piano suffers from this but also the basses and strings/pads.  The overall mix lacked clarity and had more low-mid range presence than necessary.  Some odd peaks there as well, which could've been eq'd out . I highly recommend you to use this tool and watch your peaks as your song plays.  With practice you can catch these things by ear but even then it's useful to keep an eye out.

I liked the synth rock feel, and also that you have a grasp on how to evolve a song over time, as by the end it did feel like it had built up to something.  Loved the ending as well.  Expand more on the source and shake up the structure.  Select your samples more carefully and clean up your mix, this song isn't too far from the bar but needs work.

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/04/07 - (2N) Earthworm Jim 'Use Your Head'

The arrangement is very conservative, but the parts never vary so even with the varied instrumentation, the mix sounds very repetitive.  The writing feels like only a few patterns repeated again and again on different instruments, and they are very strictly quantized and rigid, which is a problem especially with anything that is exposed like the bassline in the intro, and the piano that begins at 0:16.  The drums are weak and buried.  This has more work to go, but it is a good start.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/04/07 - (3N) Earthworm Jim 'Use Your Head'