Fallout 4

Nabeel Ansari

Okay, I've actually got a question... is there a way to play through without joining ANY faction?

It almost seems like Bunker Hill forces your hand a bit... strange things start happening if you try to remain neutral...

Has anyone played through different factions yet and have advice on which one seems most "definitive"? I'm sympathetic to the Railroad, but some dark part of me wants to join the Institute... for the SCIENCE....

1 hour ago, djpretzel said:

Okay, I've actually got a question... is there a way to play through without joining ANY faction?

It almost seems like Bunker Hill forces your hand a bit... strange things start happening if you try to remain neutral...

I don't think you can. It's possible to explore each of their quest lines to a certain degree and not have anyone go hostile, but if you want to finish the main story you have to pick one.

This is probably my last Fallout game. At least without playing a demo first. If I wanted to play through Fallout 3 again I would have just installed Fallout 3 and its DLC. I was really expecting a bigger better game with Fallout 4 but they just didn't deliver in any way. 

The factions are kinda pointless and most of the story elements are kind of hollow and boring. It's almost like game design by numbers, just import fallout 3 into oblivion engine, do slight graphic tweak (mostly effects and small, small texture upgrade) then unpack Standard_Generic_Questlines.txt into the story folder. I don't know why it took 8 years to do. 

So as you can see I'm really enjoying the game, I haven't finished it yet, but it's pretty fun. 

2 hours ago, djpretzel said:

Has anyone played through different factions yet and have advice on which one seems most "definitive"? I'm sympathetic to the Railroad, but some dark part of me wants to join the Institute... for the SCIENCE....

I tried to do that but eventually the plot forced me to pick one, or at least seemed to railroad me into it. I didn't try everything though. I ended up siding with the Institute. For science. Not gonna spoil how that turned out.

The roleplaying elements and being able to have agency over your character and their choices was utterly nerfed to the ground in this installment, and is the game's biggest criticism without a doubt. Glad I didn't pick this one up at launch. Completely betrays the roots of the franchise, and you'd think Bethesda would understand this is something people want after New Vegas was such a success with Obsidian's quality quest design.

1 hour ago, djpretzel said:

@Kat - without spoiling it, was it satisfying at least? Would you do it again, or recommend it?

I'd recommend it just to see the consequences (or lack thereof) of joining the side that's usually portrayed as evil in FO4. It was actually pretty satisfying, seeing the long term results and what happens at the conclusion of the story. I'm not sure if I'd do it again -  partially because there were some dire implications, but mostly because I already know what happens and would want to see what else could have happened instead. I'd go a bit more in depth and be less vague about it, but without knowing how far along the main story you are there are far too many potential spoilers.

• 5 months later...

Several months later and I've finally got around to playing through on the other two factions(and actually starting Far Harbor). Just finished on the Railroad side, and I won't spoil it but I sort of ended up regretting it at the end. One of those "Oh crap, I forgot about that little detail" things.

The new DLC looks like it might be fun. Haven't done too much settlement building so I'm not sure if I'll grab the Contraptions Workshop, but Nuke-World sounds entertaining.