*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Chaos in Alexandria'

Liontamer

Remixer Name : Prometheus

email adress : yesterdaygeneration1750@hotmail.com

Games Remixed : Final Fantasy IX

Songs Remixed : Black mage village theme

(you can hear it here http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/Final_Fantasy_9_Blk_Mage_Village.mid)

Comments about the mix: Took some inspiration in baroque music, mostly in JS Bach style, but also add part of my own creation and style. Parts of the mix, such as 0:44 to 1:23 and others are from my own invention. You will realize that the first and the last chorus are in E minor,while the second one is in D minor. I guess i love to play with modulations.

i worked on the mastering and in the realism of the instruments, so i think there won't be a problem there.

Well, enjoy the mix. It's one of my best creations so far.

You can download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K90482H6

Please, if this is rejected i would like the link not to be deletted.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate these stupid temporary host sites. "Please wait 45 seconds while we spam your computer with ads." Please fuck off and die, temporary-host site webmasters.

Anyway as for the song. It starts off very abruptly with the main melody from the source. Can't say I'm really enjoying the sound quality here. It sounds like it's been recorded with a microphone in a cathedral.

That being said, I enjoyed the arrangement for the most part. The harpsichord was a nice idea that works really well in the background. Biggest problem I have is that violin, which just dominates the mix from the word go. It wouldn't be too bad if you built up to it, but it's right at the beginning and right through to the end. Give something else a go in there so we don't get sick of it. I understand it's a creative choice, but the piece could be much more interesting if you thickened things up a little towards the end.

That being said, I think this one could be posted with a little more work. Give it a proper intro, give the quality a bit of a touch up and maybe this could be passed. I'm enjoying the attention to detail with the instrumentation in the background, especially from 1:30 and on.

Anyway, this is a borderline NO from me. Touch up the tidbits and I'll pass it.

the intro was actually quite engaging. unfortunately it led into a section that was characterized by warcraft II musica and it really turned me off. the harpsichord idea is very medival and nice but in all honesty, this just turns into a crunching, souless attempt at a really nice arrangement idea. the play with modulations is intriguing as it sets it apart from other arrangements that stay in one key and chill out. i like the idea

however, like TO pointed out, that violin is too dominant. you get sick of it real quick. especially since it hardly sounds like a violin, anyways. try some embellishments in the lead part to humanize it a bit. there is too much static energy in this. that pizz in the background at times get bassy and muddy and then sounds something like a bucket of water sloshing about in the background.

haha from 1:00 to 1:20 this is straight orc music, bro

sorry but it is.

rework the arrangement, get less orc and more human life in this and you got some pretty medieval shit goin here.

NO

Don't use temporary upload sites in the future. Especially in the case of you wanting others to hear it after the decision, that Megaupload link will eventually die off. Google Pages would at least offer something more permanent, yet flexible.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 305 "Black Mage's Village"

Yeah, the intro is pretty abrupt, though I didn't think that was a huge hit against it. Still, some buildup would be more logical. Once you hear how the ending was as abrupt as intro, the criticism multiplies. Now it just implies you didn't know how to write an introduction or ending.

Good writing idea with the pizz strings at :28, though they sound like mud in the background. The bowed strings sounded a bit jerky with the note-to-note movements, but effort was put into the sequencing and production to downplay the syntheticness, which was good. I agree with weed though that there's a fairly inhuman/static feel to the whole thing though.

The overall production on this was fairly full, but really muddy and lo-fi. Despite the valid complaints about the violin lead being too dominant, I liked how the supporting instrumentation varied up over the course of the 2 3/4 minutes.

Dynamically however, the energy is the same level for most of the mix. See what you can do to change that through some added transitions that slow the mix down and/or change the texture more substantially (e.g. changing leads or the tone of the existing lead more often).

Promising work so far, but it needs a lot of polish to excel.

NO (resubmit)