*NO* Halo 2 'Peril'

Liontamer

Squeek/Squawk - LT

Hi! Looooooooooongtime fan of the site, first time contributor. The name I've chosen to use here is ECJConsort (short for Epic Chamber Jazz Consort). This is a band I recently put together. We play jazz and covers and stuff and a few video game tunes here and there, so I thought you guys would maybe like this. It's the least I can do for downloading hundreds of amazing tunes from here over the last 6-7 years.

If that attatchment doesn't work, our website is:

http://ecjconsort.googlepages.com/songs

Also, this is my first time with ID3 tags, so hopefully I got them all right. Apologies in advance for missing anything.

Anyway, the official info:

ECJConsort

Danny Fratina

ecjconsort@gmail.com

http://ecjconsort.googlepages.com

Halo 2

Peril

What's there to say? The Halo soundtrack is absolutely incredible. I wanted to mess with the themes from it. I also wanted to try something a little different with my band that is made up of only wind players playing jazz. The result turned out to be this: Peril, without any strings or vocals, and with some fine improvisors.

As much as I love and listen to the Halo 2 OST, this is an interesting take on the original "Peril".

Not a bad performance by any of your parts, but I'm just gonna go ahead and get the NO out first and then explain why.

In no particular order, the main strikes are as follows. First of all, the title--not only is it not particularly creative, it more implies a cover rather than a re-arrangement aka "ReMix" of the track, which is mostly what this is (a trans-genre cover, that is). Performance was overall good, but there were some sloppy moments from various instruments at various times which left the general effect with a kind of underwhelming aftertaste. Sax at :09 came in rather weak. Trumpet immediately after had some sour notes and chokes on the stacatto (sp?) notes. A few rhythmic misses there around :50 or so, where I thought the performance could have been just a bit tighter. Production was actually fairly decent as I see it, considering the live performance and types of instruments--I know they're not exactly the easiest to record "cleanly", so props to you for pulling that off as well as you did.

What the heck was the deal with the ending? Even granted the style, couldn't you guys have thought up something a little less anticlimatic? Much much too abrupt. Also, the general lack of low end leaves it just a little thin. Dunno what to tell you to remedy that... Hire a tuba player? Or just bug zircon to program you a phat bassline :) (j/k)

Really though, I enjoyed hearing your take on the theme. Pretty cool stuff, but not quite OCR-ready. Best of luck in future endeavors, Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Halo 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Volume One - (03) Peril

Interesting genre conversion, including some notable original additions, but I thought this was poorly performed overall. It certainly doesn't sound like you guys were working with each other at all during some of the denser parts, which sounded cluttered and, frankly, not very musical. BGC went into the specific weak points, so I'll leave it at that.

I like the idea in principle, but the execution lacks regardless. You really need to get more interpretive on the arrangement side as well, not just doing a brass cover with some additional parts.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not easy to record brass, what with the possibilities of clipping and all that. I thought this was recorded quite well.

The performance was very good, although lacking at some points, and the cluttered nature of some sections has already been mentioned. The ending was practically non-existent, didn't like that at all.

If I was being super picky, I would say that this definitely needed to be recorded in a larger room, as I thought things were sounding rather dry, needed a bit more reverb.

Good attempt at something original, but didn't quite cut it this time.

NO