*NO* Rygar 'Ligar's Castle'

Liontamer

Yes, it's >12MB, but it's less than 7mins. Besides, the letter was interesting - LT

Hi.

I'm submitting for a friend.

He calls himself Crocco.

He has several years of experience within composing.

I knew he was good, so it was in fact I who persuaded him to try out remixing game songs.

He's done three songs till now, all three was recommended by me... :)

I quote his own word though:

"I didn't give the remixes my full effort and commitment as I could've, since I didn't come up with the idea myself.

However I thought it was a bright idea to widen my horizon and try something new besides composing own melodies.

And I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome, especially my first remix."

He composes Electronica-music, and he simply HATES Techno, Trance, Dance and similar. "Electronica was pioneer to all these subcategories, and not without a reason. Electronica must remain special and abstract, like art."

I've attached the first song to this e-mail.

It's from the game Rygar, and the melody comes from final stage before the "end-boss", Ligar. Therefore the name; "Ligar's Castle".

The reason he doesn't submit himself, is because he's too shy himself to do it. So this is actually ment as a surprise.

I just hope the verdict comes out as positive as I think it will. I'll post another one, once the verdict is placed.

Sincerely,

KaKistoZ

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/rygar.zip - Track 6

Opens up with some standard beats before being joined by the ridiculously loud NSF original completely pasted on top. Some supporting percussion joined in at :29, but was covered up pretty badly. The texture was empty despite the volume, but another part was added at :59 to further fill out the track. It's a subtle evolution, but the result still wasn't particularly interesting. Kind of waiting for something to go on to change the dynamics.

1:43 drops several parts out just leaving the basic beats, before changing entirely to a very minimal (and unfortunately bland) wholly original section at 1:57. The lil' effects in there were cool, but there wasn't anything else really going on until 2:26 with some countermelodic support and the beats coming back again at 2:42. Goes back to the saw-style stuff at 2:56 in a weak transition. Finally changed up at 5:10 with a different beat pattern ad subtraction of parts before rehashing the minimal section from 1:57.

The beats never gel with any of the other music, nothing is interestingly developed or evolving, and the arrangement is nonexistant. Once you hear the first 2:42, you've basically heard the entire thing minus some various embellishments.

Before you submit something for your friend, you may want to read the submissions guidelines sometime. This uses the original audio itself as a crutch to provide any material from Rygar, which we do not allow.

NO Override

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I like the drum loop. It's groovy. Unfortunately, this track is, to quote the mighty Bilbo Baggins, "butter scraped over too much bread". Just doesn't float as acceptable by OCR standards, for exactly the reasons Larry's spelled out.

That's great that you're trying to get your bud's music heard and all, but generally, it's not really good form to submit anyone's work but your own, for various reasons. I think the one that applies most to this particular situation, is that your friend (and you, it would seem) are not familiar with the submission standards and guidelines.

Read them. Know them. Love them. Cherish them.

(Oh, and yeah, 12MB is kind of a slight no-no.)

YES (to Larry's NO OVERRIDE)