*NO* U.N. Squadron 'Forest Fortress'

Liontamer

Where's the rest? - LT

Remixer: Psycho Scapegoat

Song: Forest Fortress

Game: UN Squadron

System: SNES

Copyright: Capcom

My second time submitting, my first did not succeed, but after reviewing the comments, I know it needs work.

I applied what I learned and tried again with a separate composition. The link is:

My Link: www.myspace.com/psychoscapegoat

-----------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=a88 - "Forest Fortress 2" (a88-07.spc)

Didn't even name this differently than the source, already a bad sign. Straightforward guitar cover with two playthroughs, making it nearly 1-for-1 with the source. Hell, the non-guitar parts having to do with the source may even be MIDI ripped. Decent guitar coverage, good harmonization.

Drum writing is alright, but the sounds of the kit are pretty tame compared with those wailing guitars. :38 hits the second playthrough of the source, only with some rhythm guitar added that pretty much buried the MIDI-ripped foundation of the original. Ends after only 1:21.

Cool cover, but you need to do a lot more vis-a-vis the standards around here to pass. More expansion and/or interpretation is needed, and practically MIDI-ripping parts is counterproductive to those ends. Compare some of the recently posted mixes to the originals to get more of an idea of what we're looking for. (Good example of the closest you're gonna get to a cover nowadays, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Walk on Water".)

NO

• 2 months later...

um yeah.

the backing synth parts might as well be ripped straight from the source. electric guitar covering the synth melody line. GM-ish drums.

there's not any interpretation going on here. if you want to retool this for OCR, i'd suggest adding some variation to the melody, harmony, etc. We don't take covers.

NO

Gaaah, 1:28 minute track? Ok, I know there have been some *debates* on tracks that are lingering around the 2 minute mark, but dang, honestly, how interpretive can one possibly be with a track that isn't even 90 seconds long? I'm sure you can get a great start with that, but bah.

And now for the post-rant analysis.

Yep, not much going on in this one. It's very very similar to the source, and there are some production issues worth mentioning. Namely, the EQ (and part-writing too, I suppose) is terribly neglectful of the midrange, and it makes the lead guitars sound very very thin. Other than that, this whole mix needs a pretty thorough overhaul in terms of progression and expansion on the original theme.

NO