OCR01553 - *YES* Tetris Attack 'Final Panic'

Liontamer

Tweek

Brian Arnold

bmarnold@uga.edu

www.tweekmusic.com

Absolutely no idea what my forum number is.

Tetris Attack

Bowser's Stage and Panic Mode

This is Bowser's theme from his stage in Tetris Attack. It is a remix of both his normal stage and his panic mode.

The song is a mixture of percussion inspired from Tan Dun and orchestration from Klaus Badelt. I'm actually quite happy with how the fusion worked. If nothing else, I look forward to the comments and suggestions that you guys have to offer. I request that the link to my mix be kept in the judges post.

------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ta - "Bowser's Stage" (ta-33.spc) & "Bowser's Stage - Critical" (ta-34.spc)

The encoding's a bit lossy sounding/muddy, moreso than other tracks we have at 128kbps. I'd love to hear this in a VBR encoding to push our 6MB filesize limit.

In any case, the track is wonderful. Who are you and why haven't I heard of you before? The orchestration is excellent, the part writing sophisticated. Brian's got a really strong sense of dynamics here, varying both the instrumentation and intensity of the track many times over the course of the 4 1/2 minutes. The woodwinds from 1:50-2:15 were excellent, and I loved the brass and piano doing their own iterations of those phrases immediately afterward.

Nice change in the intensity at 3:18, moving into the very active drums.

The arrangement was relatively straightforward, but you see how Brian really built new ideas and phrases from the base of the original to really expand the piece. And to be honest, look at how completely goofball the original track sounds compared with this epic goodness. Production could be cleaned up a lil', but otherwise sweeet with 3 Es. Nigga, I KNOW you gets da YES.

• 1 month later...

This is a very different feel from the original, somewhat more serious! Good sense of atmosphere here, and well composed sections. Did you use Reason for this one? I think so. Excellent use of percussion. I do think that the arrangement in terms of melody was quite simplistic, however, this is vastly different from the original and so in that respect the arrangement element for me is above bar. This sounds like a boss tune now.

YES

sup tweek

great drums. i remember drums and atmosphere being your strengths and you dont' dissappoint here, either. the percussion easily drives the piece. the flutes set a particularly engaging atmosphere. the arrangement is simple, yes, but effective. simplicity was never a sign of a lack of effort. it was successful at changing the mood of the source entirely to something more elusive, and transient.

in other words. good shit.

YES

I feel like I'm listening to the soundtrack of an early 90s, low budget kung fu TV show. That isn't good or bad necessarily, I just think it's worth pointing out.

The atmosphere works, despite some relentlessly cheesy string and brass samples. The only part that didn't work well for me was the piano. I think a better sample could've been found and implemented without too much effort.

Other than that, the overall presentation of this remix is effective enough for me to YES it without having to think too hard.

YES