*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 'Deku Palacide'

Liontamer

another very decent first mix.

First of all, let me say, you have an excellent sense of dynamics here. The distorted guitar (well, sample thereof) provides a constant driving energy, and the song builds very well around it.

In order to build the dynamic, you add in lots of different parts which unfortunately become very crowded. The instruments don't leave any space for one another, and it sounds like a hundred voices chattering all at once rather than having a conversation. The trick is to maintain the excellent dynamic curve without overcrowding the track.

Hope to hear more in the future.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozmmusf.rar - 145 "Deku Palace"

The sound choices were pretty bland, not reaching their potential. The drums were pretty generic and didn't fill out the track well. The textures were crowded and the melodic components were pretty difficult to hear amidst the pads and other supporting instrumentation.

I agreed with Vigilante that there was a good sense of dynamics for a first submission, but those positives were mitigated by production that left the overall sound as very imbalanced and indistinct.

Aside from the tempo and some new instrumentation ideas, the arrangement wasn't particularly interpretive and was mostly structured from the writing of the original. In this case though, the imbalanced placement of all the sounds left the track sounding scattershot and dragging out after a while.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

This mix shows some promise for the road ahead, but I would definitely consider it a rough draft as it stands. Everything is very repetitive. There are hardly any chord changes, and that's always going to be a problem for a mix of this length.

The swirly pads you chose for the foundation of this piece are a little too present, in my opinion. You could fix that by either turning down the volume, or (preferably) finding something more understated. Percussion is bland and mixed too soft, and the same could be said about the grungy guitar.

The section from 2:15-2:40 is probably the most creative section in the mix, and demonstrates some neat ideas with the chill sinewaves and varied percussion. I think that part also works well because it's a little thinner and less muddy. Maybe you just have to much reverb and not enough panning throughout?

There is work to be done on both arrangement and production here, but I see potential. Keep it up!

NO