WIP vr 3 - Sonic 3 - My Little Blue Friend

Shraker Nops

I've noticed that the music from the PC EDITION (S&K Collection) of S3&K (which is what I own, aswell as the origanal) hasn't been remixed yet. A few (like 4 or so) songs from the PC version are differnt. Yes. Icecap is one of them. I never heard the Icecap as it is known untill a long time after I played the game.

Anways.

I decided to combine the Icecap music from both versions; the pc, and the orginal.

Origanal Icecap: http://www.teamartail.com/midi/sonic3/icecap_act1_jw.mid

PC Icecap: http://www.teamartail.com/midi/sonic3/icecap_act1_pc.mid

The ReMix VR 4 (NEWEST): http://media.putfile.com/TestDc

The Remix VR3: http://media.putfile.com/TestC

The remix VR2: http://media.putfile.com/WIP-vr-2

The remix VR2(download/mirror): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1GAUQWQ5

The remix VR1: http://media.putfile.com/Un-named-27

Btw there's also a lil' bit of Mute City from the game F-Zero aswell...but just a bit.

Note: My new computer is at the shop right now so I have to use my old computer which isn't fast enough to run my music software, which is why there is a couple pops/crackles.

now I remember playting s3k PC! I was shoked by the different songs! :lol:

and sure... your remix got a lot of potential! I loved the feeling!

the few things I think I can say:

- the beginning (up to 1:20) is really good! got my attention right away!

- I guess you should take easy on high sounds (is it some kind of distortion?)... sometimes they're quite unpleasant

- the applauses are simply not necessary IMHO

- the PC version icecap remix is quite straightforward and repetitive

- the section 3:35-4:23 does not fit (IMO this is the greater setback in your mix)

I'll be waiting for your next wip! ;)

Well, try getting better synths... I was thoroughly unimpressed with it throughout... What did you use for this? Sounds like Finale or something... I agree with ocrfan... The ending is just horrible... Doesn't go with anything, applause is unnecessary... And again, get some better synths... Sorry it's a little crude, and nothing really helpful or constructive... The arrangement up until 3:35 is great... So don't abandon it... just fix it up a bit.

Thx for the comments. I havn't done much orchestral work, and like none eletric guitar work, so I'm happy the arrangments good, for at least the first part.

As for the ending, I completly agree, I'm going to change that. And the claping, I just wanted to hear how it would go down.

As for that distortion, like I noted in my first post, thats actually to do with my computer being to slow right now (so it'll be there till my new one comes back from the shop).

And after around the 3:35 minute place, I agree, needs alot more work done.

I was surprized you guys like the start of the mix though, cuz I thought that was the low part of my mix.

Anways, thanks for the great comments. A new WIP should be here (along with a mirror) before the week is done!

Newer version here: http://media.putfile.com/WIP-vr-2

I've changed the middle part around a tiny bit, and took out the section that didn't fit in, aswell as change the ending.

Do you think its finished now?

I'm going to be up-ing the quailty of the orchestral instuments when I get my computer back, and of course there wont be any of thsoe crackles/distortian that you hear right now (if you do hear them...might just be my comp)

Oh yeah! Nice work, very good improvements!

And my comments:

- the new section on 2:48-3:04 is better, but not nice enough (still does not fit nicely... too calm for a thrilling mix)

- 3:36-4:08 - I *LOVED* this arrangement!

- 4:08 - I feel like there's something missing here IMHO... the two sections connection is somewhat strange! maybe if you insert something else (when I first heard it, I expected some kind of uprising)

- ending (4:40-) - quite lengthy (just my opinion), but it's nice; the intro is alredy very lengthy (more than 1 min)... why the ending must be like that too?

- the very end (5:18 -) is weeeird :? try somehting else

keep improving! It will be an OCR soon!

Shraker Nops: don't worry! I use email reply notifications and never stop taking a look on my favorite remixes wips! (yours is one of them) ;)

again a nice upgrade...

- 2:48-3:03 - I still can't say I like this bit, but sure it's better than before

- 4:08 - that's not exactly what I meant by 'uprising'... interesting anyway

- 4:39 - it's indeed a better ending, now with quite abrupt closing (4:40-4:46)

I feel boring saying such things, but it's hard to feel that there's really nothing to enhance.

You need some more people to evaluate your mix... some people with real remixing knowledge. For sure they would give you better tips! ;)

Thx for comemnting again, I find it kindof odd that no-one else is responding, I guess just cuz its the chirstmas seasan? Ah well, hopefully this will bump it back to the top again and recive some more comments...

Oh, yes, and I, as well, find the ending to abrupt, well the ending section. I'll probably add some orchestral thing in there somewhere.

Anyways. Please comment people. I really want to know if this is good or not, and what I need to change!

hey,first post in a LOOONG time.... so this might be a little rusty :P

to start off... it's an enjoyable track. your arrangement deserves some merit, and it does have a very ominous feel to it.

a little complaint... the kick drum that comes in at 1:05 feel a little off, lke they're too flat. I would switch them to something a little heavier, almost akin to a bass guitar in depth. (although they definitely need to be drums). That, or something more booming...

at 1:46, it feels like you just loop your track again... there is some change later, but it starts out too repetitive. and that's something you have to fix on your own.

at 2:16... your chimes feel a little dry, like they're muted... If you could find a different chime, something more drawn out, more vibrant and clangy (dunno if that's the right word...:P)

also, if you drop that whole section from 2:16 to 2:32 down to just chimes and some ambient noise in the background (less than you have now...) then i think the overall effect will be a better lead-in for your next section. Then just bring everything back in at 2:32.

Oh, and your ending is a little abrupt...

there's some other stuff i can't put my finger on... but i'll try to think about it and get back to you in a while...

Overall... i think you're headed in a good direction, but you're a ways off from the judging board...

Good luck, keep at it :wink:

Namaste,

Hina

D'OH!

I didn't noticed the second page! :P

Anyway...

I liked your changes... I can't notice something that really got worse. That 'vocal-like thing' (chorus?) that you added to the 3:36-4:07 section... sweeeet! :D Also liked the variations by the end. And the very ending is now a nice one. ;)

Keep arranging as you wish... now it's hard for me to give advices!

If you want to risk it and submit this, I think that now it's worth a try! Even if get rejected, you'll have nice suggestions from the judges! ;)

• 1 month later...