*NO* Chrono Trigger "Secret of the Forest (Stop It You Dog! Mix)"

Rexy

• 4 weeks later...

It's a nice soundscape, but this is seriously conservative.  Most of the sounds are just a sound upgrade, and the arrangement as a whole is nearly unchanged.  There are a few synth frills thrown in, but overall it sticks very closely to the source.  The second loop is also very similar to the first, with just some of the backing textures changed.  It's very pretty and a nice cover, but it doesn't have the kind of interpretation we look for.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I think the sound design is neat - you've got a selection of rich, mellow sounds and textures, as well as a piano that isn't overly dark and compliments the synths around it.  The EQ sweeps and gates in-between sections are a sweet touch as well, helping to break segments up out of monotony.  The mixdown's also okay, but I also feel the bass and piano are way louder than they need to be, so consider bringing their volume down to the point that they sit with the other instruments, not stand on top.

However, what lets this submission down the most is the arrangement.  Despite all the attention in the sound design, the structure is just two variations of the theme, and that is it.  The second variation does change things up at 4:33 with the harmonic fourths on the melody, but that's it.  Rather than let the second variation get played straight, consider exploring it and finding ways to change it up so that it sounds both familiar and yet distinct from the first half.

It's not a bad effort at all, Bobby.  While I appreciate your ideas, the interpretation is way too minimal to consider for the OCR front page.  It'll be nice to hear a version that adds more meat into the arrangement, but whatever you do, keep going with your craft.

NO (resubmit)

• Rexy changed the title to 2019/01/17 - (2N) Chrono Trigger "Secret of the Forest (Stop It You Dog! Mix)"