Mega Man 2 - Heat Man Remix

Hello, I got inspired to try to make a fairly long and varying remix of such a short theme as Heat Man’s is. I’ve been working on this for some months now and I feel it’s time to get some feedback on it.

The composition, instrumentation, and balancing are done, and that is what I would like to get some feedback on first.

I haven’t done any EQ, compression, or adding any effects like reverb and delay yet.

Please let me know what you think about it, looking forward to hearing your feedback! :)

NEW VERSION BELOW!

Edited by Tab Newflax

I knew your name sounded familiar, and sure enough, I have some old remixes of yours from 2004 and 2005!  I can't really offer much in the way of technical feedback, but this remix is a definite improvement over your earlier work I've heard.  See if you can get one of the workshop moderators to provide some feedback, because it's certainly worth preparing for submission!

16 hours ago, orlouge82 said:

I knew your name sounded familiar, and sure enough, I have some old remixes of yours from 2004 and 2005!  I can't really offer much in the way of technical feedback, but this remix is a definite improvement over your earlier work I've heard.  See if you can get one of the workshop moderators to provide some feedback, because it's certainly worth preparing for submission!

Glad that you remember me! That was ages ago :)

Thanks for the nice feedback! I will PM them later if none of them reply here.

MOD REVIEW

Hey there. In the future, you can change the tag of your workshop post for READY FOR REVIEW and a mod will come and review it for you.

While I will immediately admit that this style music is not the stuff I generally write or listen to, I can tell that this mix took a lot of care and feeding. You did a great job overall on it.

A couple of things for feedback.

- The mis-timed echo at the beginning and again at 3:30 is a little jarring; the background echo isn't in time with the foreground music, and while that might have been the intended effect, I just wanted to say that it made my musician ears kind of twitch a bit. If that's what you're going for good job. If not, I might reconsider making that background stuff be more in time with the foreground stuff. 

- Levels and panning all sound really good. There wasn't anything that stood out to me as too heavy or too light. Great job there.

- Taking a short theme like this and making it interesting enough to listen to for 6 straight minutes is a hell of a feat and you should be proud of it. I was expecting it to drag on and make my ears really tired, but it did neither of those things. Bravo. 

- the drop at 5:20 could use some more oomph if you ask me. It sounded almost like it dropped out for a second, almost like it was a mistake; take a listen to that and see if there's something else you can do with it. 

Honestly, most of the above are nitpicks, and I think this is likely ready for the judges. Good luck!

/MOD REVIEW 

Hey there. In the future, you can change the tag of your workshop post for READY FOR REVIEW and a mod will come and review it for you.

Ok, will do.

- The mis-timed echo at the beginning and again at 3:30 is a little jarring; the background echo isn't in time with the foreground music, and while that might have been the intended effect, I just wanted to say that it made my musician ears kind of twitch a bit. If that's what you're going for good job. If not, I might reconsider making that background stuff be more in time with the foreground stuff. 

Not sure which one you mean, do you mean the gated synth that is playing alone between 0:00-0:08 and at 3:14-3:30 and when it plays with other instruments it sounds a bit off?

Honestly, most of the above are nitpicks, and I think this is likely ready for the judges. Good luck!

Wow, thanks for the nice feedback, it was way more positive than I had expected :D

Before I submit it I will add reverb/delay and do some EQ and and a bit of mastering and then update with a new version.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Here is a new version of the remix, since the first version posted here I've added reverb/delay to the entire track, and made some minor tweaking here and there.

This is not the final version of the track, but I would be grateful to get some feedback on the reverb/delay before finalizing it. Is there too much/little overall? Or at some specific segment? Or something else that could be improved?

Thanks, looking forward to hearing your feedback!

NEW VERSION BELOW!
Edited by Tab Newflax

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I'm finished with the remix. Feedback is still appreciated though.

Since the last update I've mostly been focusing on mastering.

I will probably submit it sometime the coming week.

Final Version:

Version 2: https://soundcloud.com/unresolved-external/heat-man-remix-v2/s-KcHnu5jXKi1
Version 1: https://soundcloud.com/unresolved-external/heat-man-remix-v1/s-M04SN6h7vKH

Edited by Tab Newflax