*NO* Final Fantasy 5 'Away in My Head'

Liontamer

Hiya DJP!

Here's my first submission,

Let me give you some info:

ReMixer name: Another Soundscape

email: Failure_02@hotmail.com

REMIX INFO:

Game remixed: Final Fantasy 5 (the overlooked one)

Song remixed: Ahead on our way (main theme)

My own comments: I wanted this song to remind people of the feeling when they played the game. The title "Away In My Head" reflects just that. I wanted the track to be exciting, mellow and at the same time massive and heroic so that I got as many emotions I felt from the game into the track. At the time I'm writing this I think I succeeded. I hope other people will think so too. Note that I actually played all the drum parts right away on the keyboard with a small ammount of Quantizing. in the entire song I used ONE loop and that was the guitar playing powerchords during the Rhodes solo.

Enjoy, and I hope you will submit it for other people to enjoy too.

Cheers // Mattias

• 2 weeks later...

This is great for a first submission. Some really good compositional and instrumental ideas. Surely enough though, there are a number of beginner mistakes. First problem I notice is that the the rhythmic lines, delays, and LFOs are quite repetitive and rhythmically tiresome. This problem is exacerbated after the 1:45-2 minute mark, when more delayed and LFOed synths come in, and by the end it sounds like there's an overpowering triplet pulse to the whole song.

I thought the ELP section was a great interlude, but I noticed the cymbals were sequenced rather akwardly.

Great composition as far as i'm concerned, and great arrangement, but you have to fix those little production issues. I hope to hear a resub, and I hope to hear more in the future.

NO

The way the song builds around the theme is one of the stronger points of the mix, but you're pretty much just repeating the same part of the "Ahead on our way" source over and over again from start to finish. I'd like to have heard some change-ups, some additions to the melody arrangement to see where this mix could've gone.

Your drums were great, best part of the mix. Very clear and good sounding. The rest of the music mashes together in a not-so-nice way. Most of it is clear, but the notes are clashing due to either reverb or delay effects, I can't tell which. I think this would benefit from a more precise use of the effects generators so things don't flood so much.

Good first mix, keep working and submitting.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff5 - "Ahead On Our Way" (ff5-1-01.spc)

Cool opening. A bit generic with the sounds, but some reasonably good effects/processing to make things sound more unique. Beefy drums came in at :30 with some cool writing. Ooooh, nice changeup at 1:04. Very nice. Cymbals got more active at 1:36, though the e-piano doesn't really seem to be going anywhere with the comping. Just personal taste, but one reason it felt that way was because the e-piano tended to bleed into the other sounds and not stand out.

Drumwork and other rhythmic sounds dragged after 1:51, before moving back to :31's section with a guitar synth added and the original lead scaled back. Yeah, I think the composition could be improved a bit, but the production is where this needs help the most as your sounds tend to bleed together. Nice first sub.

NO (rework/resubmit)