today's compotune "Balalaika" dark minimalism

OverCoat

oc-balalaika [623.2kb]

Xerxes thought it was good. "Minimalism at its best" he said. It got 9th place out of 11 compo entries. "Tough crowd" he said. I can't find the results .txt or the votepack anymore because my FTP access has been on and off lately, so the pack has been lost to time. But my song still exists, and I like it enough so here you go. Enjoy! The title and song itself were influenced by a certain character from the anime "Black Lagoon." Deformed but still incredibly sexy somehow. But I'm not gonna patronize myself. I didn't think about it that much.

Well, if your song came in at 9th place, I need to download the whole pack, because there has to be some incredible stuff in there.

Of course, that means I really your song. It evokes some kind of cyberpunk-ish mood in me, or, to say it like I did before, I think of Shadowrun when I hear this song. And that is always a very good thing.

• 4 months later...

Lots of distortion, indeed. Reminds me somewhat of the music CoLD SToRAGE made for Krazy Ivan.

Dunno, but this incarnation has a wholly different feel to it. While the original one sounded like a smooth, electronic cyberpunk soundtrack, this one is darker, more in-your-face decay, doom, defeat & despair.

All in all, the soundscape of the new version sounds fuller/richer, which is why I think it's better than the previous one. Good work.