Castlevania - Bloody Tears (seeking feedback)

I've been producing music for quite a couple of years, but until recently, I never really cared to share it. After my father passed away last year, I could not make music anymore, until last week, when something unlocked. I dedicate this track to him.

Production standards are high on OCRemix, and I don't know if this is considered good or not, I tried to make this spin on a classic song a fun listen. But I am looking for any sort of actionable feedback so I can improve as a musician and producer.

Thank you.

Edited by DJ Tourne-Viande
Removed first track version, final version below

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Thank you for sharing the story, I hope you'll be able to create more and more with time.

It's lovely to hear a first attempt from someone new that's already pretty strong as is.  I like this arrangement, it has the changes I look for in a remix.

0:16-0:21 and 0:24-0:29 Has a background synth off-beat and it feels like it lands on unusual beats as well.  The synth works, but where it lands feels odd to me.  It comes back later at 1:54-2:02

1:04-1:20 piano is SUPER loud, definitely look at reducing that some.

Look at your drum fills such as 0:47 in the snare and add some more exaggerated velocity differences into those rolls so they don't approach "machine-gun" type fills.  I find this is especially important when using acoustic-style drum samples.

1:46-2:02 Nice original additions.  I dig the change to half-time right before it.

Ending feels sudden and comes out of nowhere.  How you ended is fine, it's just sudden.  If you wanted to elongate that some it could help it's suddenness. I suggest to do a slow in tempo (ritardando) into the last few chords and hold out the last chord longer.

Overall, very solid arrangement; there are just a few minor production elements that should be looked at.  Awesome job!

Nice changes!  The ending is great.  Although, you should definitely humanize the piano in that new ending now, it's rather stiff and velocities feel very similiar.  Exaggerate the velocites some to give a more human feeling.

Something that didn't occur to me before in the loud piano section 1:04-1:20 was the dryness of the piano.  I think I was more concerned with the overall volume.  Definitely could use a touch of reverb here, similar to how you have it in other parts of the track.

Very nice work.  I think you should fix up those minor issues and submit this.

Here is the version I will submit. Thanks for your insights!

As a side note, if it gets rejected but I still want to publish it somewhere, is it legal to upload it to Spotify trough a distributor (ex. CD Baby)? As I understand, this is a derivative work and I must seek the approval of the original copyright holder. But there are already loads and loads of video game remixes on Spotify, did every artist really get the appropriate clearance to publish them?

6 hours ago, DJ Tourne-Viande said:

As a side note, if it gets rejected but I still want to publish it somewhere, is it legal to upload it to Spotify trough a distributor (ex. CD Baby)? As I understand, this is a derivative work and I must seek the approval of the original copyright holder. But there are already loads and loads of video game remixes on Spotify, did every artist really get the appropriate clearance to publish them?

I have released about 30 or so of my OCReMix (and tracks I did for other communities) on streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, etc. In short: there’s this thing called a “compulsory license” in US law, which basically means that if your version can be labeled as a cover (I listened to your track, my biased opinion is that it’d probably be fine) and has seen a commercial release in the US, it will qualify for release on streaming services.

I personally use Soundrop (https://soundrop.com/) for releasing tracks on streaming services. It’s pretty easy to do, and they distribute to all streaming services for $1 per track.

Their FAQ is a good place to start reading up on how it works. You’ll especially find this page helpful: https://support.soundrop.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039589271-Advanced-Cover-Song-Licensing-Request-Tips

When it comes to figuring out what tracks can or cannot be licensed, that page also gives some good advice. The short summary: if it can be found on vgmdb.net as a commercial release in the US, you will be fine. If you can find it in the US Apple Music store (see links in the article above), you will be fine. You arranged a popular song from a popular franchise that has known commercial US releases, so I’m pretty sure it’ll qualify (but I didn’t check).

That’s about it as a starting point. I’d suggest to read the FAQs so you have a sense of what it’s all about, and just sign up and give it a go. The worst that can happen is that they will reject and refund your $1.

Oh, and do keep in mind, every track released on streaming services needs album art too. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but it is required.

Hope this enough to get you going, but feel free to ask if you have questions about this.

• 3 weeks later...