Email: 
Userid: 37731

Submission:
link in case the attachment doesn't work:

Game arranged: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Name of arrangement: Yoshi Madness
Song arranged: Athletic Theme

FL Studio, Serum, Kontakt, Vital

Second time submitting here, this song was unsurprisingly stuck in my head for a while so I thought the best way to get it out would be to make a Jcore remix at 201 bpm :D

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

i am gonna say it - i love the idea of a super fast edm track based on this track (and most of this soundtrack). the OST's soundtrack is made for jcore or happy hardcore or something silly like that.

unfortunately, the execution here is a bit lacking. there's an intro, a loop for the A theme that's about nine seconds long and a loop for the B theme that's about nine seconds long, and they are painted into the track in various places, and that's it. there's some small countermelodic elements that are brought in occasionally, but not nearly enough to save the arrangement. so this is way too repetitive for posting right now, but i think there's still great ideas here! i'd love to hear more subtractive arrangement in the melodic line, new synths brought in, and some more interpretation of the approach (new chords or doubletime melodic content or something would be really neat). right now it's just like 20s of music repeated for two minutes.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/08/23 - (1N) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Yoshi Madness"
  • 3 weeks later...

Speedy lil' thing, this one; hoping that means lots of substance is packed into the short runtime, since the intro until :47 felt repetitive. Soundscape was also on the dry side (just an observation, rather than an issue).

After the redux of the main verse at :59, I was disappointed to just hear the melody play through several more times with only some minor ornamentation and doubling going on; it's not feeling like a substantial enough transformation. Basically an ABABA format, but once you get to :59, you've effectively heard the whole piece, so the development's too limited.

The additions to the textures were subtle enough that they didn't make a meaningful difference in the presentation. If the source files are still available, consider adding more to the textures or changing the instrumentation from verse to verse, or getting more interpretive and/or varied with the composition of the melody and chrous. There are loads of ways you can further develop this piece without feeling like you're drastically overhauling it, and, provided you weren't uninterested in revisiting this, I trust your abilities to handle it. It's got a good energy to it, Spad3s, and it's great to hear from you again!

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/23 - (2N) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Yoshi Madness"

I came to the same conclusion as the above by the time I'd reached the one-minute mark, and that's less than halfway through!  This basically coasts on the core conceit of just playing this track really really fast, and doesn't have enough additional ideas to flesh it out. Far too many loops of the main hook alone, and then the whole thing loops 2½ times.  There needs to be more development.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/23 - *NO* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Yoshi Madness"
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Yoshi Madness"
  • Liontamer locked this topic