*NO* Stardew Valley "Memories of Grandpa"

Liontamer

Artist: Moonset Music

As I was working on a chiptune cover of "Grandpa's Theme" from Stardew Valley, I couldn't decide which effects sounded better. In the end, I decided "well, why not both?!" With that, this cover was born, combining the simple, low-effect version with a more complicated one and finishing off with a modulated coda, since I was going to be fancy! This whole arrangement is intended to evoke classic NES-era soundtracks. 

Games & Sources

Source: Stardew Valley
Song: Grandpa's Theme
Composer: Eric Barone (ConcernedApe)

What's here's in a vacuum is cool; if this theme were made for a mid-80s NES game, this would fit right in. There's nothing inherently wrong with a demake, but there's also not much intepretation going on beyond the adaptation to this soundset, so it unfortunately falls outside of the kind of arrangements we're looking for at OCR. Even at 1:00 when you get a fuller sound, it was like the track stopped and started over (rather than connected sections flowing together). Would love to hear a melodically interpretive rendition of this as an 8-bit theme if you were game, but a cool creative exercise regardless, Moonset!

NO

yeah unfortunately this is essentially a cover using chiptunes. we require transformative arrangement here at ocremix - that is, sound swaps aren't enough. in a demake like this, i'd expect to hear updated rhythmic elements, new chords, a more personalized instance of the melodic line, changed time signatures, etc. what's here right now is mostly concernedape's work, and it's just being played by new instruments. that's fine with youtube and some other services but it's not what we do here.

i love the idea though! i'm a huge fan of demakes. that track is a good example of the type of arrangement we look for here, and emulating (no pun intended) ben's expansion of the original theme would be a great way to proceed here.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This demake is cute - it would fit right in an old-school Dragon Quest game as a shrine theme, which is appropriate considering Grandpa's role in Stardew.  However, the consensus is already clear - it's two and a half run-throughs of the BGM, each with different textures and no compositional changes aside from a key change for the last 30 seconds.  Arrangement-wise, there's not enough personalization, meaning we unfortunately can't accept this in its original form.

Absolutely nothing's wrong with an NES / Famicom sound palette, and that approach is possible on OCR.  But Brad's arrangement/transformation suggestions are worth looking into if you are to return to this concept in the future.  Please keep up your efforts.  

NO

• Rexy changed the title to *NO* Stardew Valley "Memories of Grandpa"