Animal Crossing - Rainy Day (Metris Remix)

Metris

Been working on an Animal Crossing remix based on Rainy Day for the past week because every single track in the franchise is goated and I just like messing with them. Feels sorta weird that for a "rainy track," this sounds "space-esque" and "Christmas-y" (well it's an original take ig). Still a WIP (mixing and mastering mostly), but like the sound so far.

Very chill and lush texture.  Quite enjoyable.  Production sounds better on this one, compared to the last.  The kick is not overpowering this time :)

I am feeling the source plenty here, again like the previous i'd like to hear more of your own ideas imparted onto it.  Could be things like more melodic development, countermelodies, reharmonization, a new original section maybe.  The dynamic level stays pretty constant throughout as well, some contrast there would be good.  You did a good job of delivering textural contrast.

Since this stays relatively sparse throughout the track adding more energy as you go along would be really helpful.  You do change things up texturally at the right times, so the 4 minutes does breeze by, but it could really go to the next level with more (see earlier comment about adding more of your own).  The feel is mostly the same as the original, which there isn't anything wrong with, it just means you need to add more of your own flavors and spices to get it by.  Really consider that if you plan on submitting.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this reharmonized? It sounds like you're in Bb mixolydian going between Bb and Fm with the melody beginning on the tonic, and the source (I think) is in Eb and goes between Eb7 and Ab with the melody starting on the 5th. There's not a ton of context in the source, but that's how I always heard it. I could be wrong, but something felt weird when I listened to yours so I tried to figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this so much! I feel the same way when it comes to AC tracks from the GCN or WW versions, and Rainy Day is definitely one of my favorites.

I do agree with Hemo, in that I feel like it needs to go to a new section, and doing that with maybe some new percussion and patterns, and adding some more unique melodic/rhythmic elements would really bring it to a new level, and I would really love to see that for this track in particular! Especially because the original track is meant to be a bit more passive as you trot along in-game, and I think to bring it more upfront musical qualities and make it more dynamic over the track, it could take advantage of a lot of the open space through the duration of the track by having more, as well as having sections to break away from the kind simplistic nature of the song and melody.

I personally think it'd be cool to break off into an acoustic drumkit section for a break, and then go back to the electronic one, but idk how well it'd work in practice there, and is just kind of what my ear is hearing as a potential option.

Good luck with this one, would love to hear more as it goes along~