# Cover Track Information

Title: Until the Very End
Arranger: Chromatic Apparatus
MixingEngineer: Chromatic Apparatus
Performers:
    Cello: Chromatic Apparatus
    Harp: Chromatic Apparatus

ArrangementNotes: |
    This arrangement of "On the Beach at Dusk" is meant to mirror the arc of Explorers of Sky in microcosm.
    The main game starts and ends on the beach, with the tumultuous, emotional moment dividing the two.
    There are two harps and four cellos (live recordings) performing in this piece with additional sound effects.
    The opening section (0:00-1:33) takes the original theme and reduces it to the two harps, with the celli providing an occasional bed of sound for the harps to float on.
    1:33-1:55 is the storm, with the celli in tremolo and a single harp improvising on the atmosphere.
    From 1:55 onward the storm abates, the key rises a whole step, and, with buoyed spirits, the celli take their turn with the theme.
    It starts with a solo cello playing the main motive, and picks up more celli along the way.
    2:39, the celli slowly convert to pizzicato (think rain drops), and we end, hearing the ocean surf on the beach.

EquipmentNotes: |
    - Cello
        - 2007 Romanian "Euro Standard Antique", finished at Peter Paul Prier & Sons
        - 2xAKG C414 (mid-side configuration)
    - Harp
        - RHarp Merlin 35-string Lever Harp 
        - Mono mix of two mics: AKG C414 (exterior mic), Bartlett Cello Mic (taped inside harp)
    - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 3 interface
    - Mixed in Studio One 6.5.1.96553
    - Sound effects (freesound.org)
        - shore.aif by FranCirujeda | License: Creative Commons 0
        - Cloudburst n Thunder 1.wav by chimerical | License: Creative Commons 0
        - Thunder Storm Nonstop Thunder by hargissssound | License: Creative Commons 0

Games & Sources

# Source Track Information

Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
ReleaseDate: 2009-04-18
Developer: Chunsoft
Publisher: The Pokémon Company / Nintendo
SourceAlbum: N/A (no official album exists); In-game Jukebox
SourceTrack:
    Title: On the Beach at Dusk
    Disc: N/A
    Track: 4
Composers: 
    - Arata Iiyoshi
    - Hideki Sakamoto
    - Keisuke Ito
    - Ken-ichi Saito
    - Yoshihiro Maeda
Links:
    - YouTube: 

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/03/09 - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky "Until the Very End"

track starts off with some sfx and some beautifully-realized harp work. if anything i wish there wasn't sfx so i could hear the tone of the harp clearer. there's some celli under it too as a pad. what a moving realization. the initial presentation of the melody is heavy on the lower strings but when it moves up higher, it really pops out of the texture.

the 'storm' section starts at 1:33 and it's appropriately intense. the cello work after the storm, at 1:56 onward, is just superb. i am not an emotional listener but i truly got chills at the tight harmonic lines.

i get caught writing too much sometimes. this doesn't need it. you've crafted a beautiful rendition of a great example of why EoS is one of the best pokemon soundtracks front to back. please write more arrangements of game music using this level of arranging, performing, and recording skill.

YES

Opens with the sound of the waves and some relaxing vibes. I liked the backing pattern of the source tune functioning as the ever-present base of the arrangement as well until 1:32. Not sure of the role of the tension until 1:56 (until I read the submission comments), but it certainly sounds well-done. The mixing's arguably too muddy, but it feels potentially intentional. :-D Hey, the soundscape's part of the overall mood and nothing's difficult to make out, so count me in on both the arrangement and production sides. Good work, Chrom!

YES

Hot dang, this is some ridiculously beautiful playing here. I mean, harps + cellos is a combination that is gonna be a winner when executed well no matter what, and this is well-executed for sure. This feels like everything the original wanted to be, just that the original was limited by things like "file size" and "sound palette" and we have no such issues here. My studio monitors are VERY happy playing this back -- sounds clean and clear to me, and every little piece has its place in the mix. My sub helps me feel the low rumble of the cellos without sensing any mud at all. Source tune comes through just fine for me, obvs, and so that makes this an EASY...

YES

This is stunning and immaculately produced on every level, you were able to squeeze a lot of mileage out of your instruments to not only carry the melodic aspect but also contribute texture to the piece as well. A very fitting solo debut to showcase your wicked level of talent with your instruments. CA, you are a treasure and the community is so lucky to have you involved in it!

YES

Edited by Emunator

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04674 - *YES* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky "Until the Very End"
  • Emunator locked this topic