*NO* Pokémon Red Version "Kanto Ghosts"

Posted (edited)

Artist Name: leocb

I remade the base tone and melody on FL Mobile, mixed and changed the instruments to make it as gloomy as I possibly could. This is my first submission, feel free to reach out if I missed something. Hope you like it!

Games & Sources

Original composition based on Pokemon Red/Blue Lavender Town.

Edited by Emunator

such a creepy original.

opens with some very verby, quiet piano playing the arpeggio. there's some new bass and chordal content as well. melodic material comes in right away in a very delayed glide lead with some nice envelope on it. some (again, very wet) percussive elements come in at 0:36. the long tails on every synth start to bite you a bit at 0:45 as the chromaticism in the melodic line get banged up against the sustained chord elements.

there's a bit of a break at 1:05, and we get most of what we already heard again. this isn't quite copypasta but it does sound like the same patterns in FL were used again in slightly different timings. bass instrument drops by maybe 1:46 for a bit, and then we get the descending chord pattern once more as an outro. there's no real ending, the patterns just end and there's some natural fade from the reverb.

i think this is an interesting idea! lavender town wasn't particularly gloomy in game, but it's a neat aesthetic to attempt here. unfortunately there's not much arrangement going on that i can hear - it's mostly the original melody and arpeggio played straight through with the descending line in the bass. beyond that, most of the synths sound dull rather than creepy or engaging, and the track overall is pretty short to demonstrate the level of transformative arrangement we normally look for in remixes. i'd encourage you to take the time to really expand on the interesting chromatic elements that this track provides - that is, to include more leocb in the arrangement and less masuda - and to then find some new ways to represent them within the track.

this definitely is a great start! i think you'd find a lot of help in the workshop forum or the workshop discord channel as well to find ways to expand this.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2024/04/30 - Pokémon Red Version "Kanto Ghosts"

Wow that 600Hz spike HURTS.  This is actually painful for my ears. 

I love Lavender Town, I have remixed it myself!  This arrangement however, does not develop sufficiently.  It is just the source writing repeated several times.  I think this is a good structure from which to carve out a remix, but as it stands now, this sounds more like a barebones concept wip.  I can understand wanting to do an ambient, drumless remix, but for that to work there has to be more going on melodically and sonically.  There needs to be some kind of interpretation on the source motif, some original bits, some countermleodies etc.  At the very least there should be more and varied instruments, and you can also use sfx to tell a story that evolves over time.

proph had a great suggestion to visit our workshop for more ideas on how to expand this arrangement.  I'd love to hear it again in a more fleshed-out form!

NO

• 1 month later...

Quick co-sign from my fellow judges - this is a great start and nails the vibes you want from a Lavender Town remix, but there's just not enough substance yet. With such a slow pace and only 2:20 of runtime, you haven't given yourself enough of a runway for this song to take off and fully develop. There's absolutely a strong foundation with the sounds you've picked out, but you need to do more with the pieces you've laid down in terms of additional writing/countermelodies/fills, and in general finding ways to evolve the sound throughout the arrangement. The workshop would be a great place to take this as you develop further - you've got a great ear, now keep expanding what you can do with it!

NO

• Emunator changed the title to *NO* Pokémon Red Version "Kanto Ghosts"
  • Emunator locked this topic