*NO* ActRaiser "The People's Rejoice"

Posted (edited)

Artist Name: Kabukibear

I play around a lot with the rhythm of the first beat, the 8th note and two 16th notes: the little bom-deedle-dee idea. The parts I added, I tried to make it feel like it belonged, and also added a major section, playing off the ideas heard earlier. The fact that the piece sounds very classical was right in my wheelhouse and it was a lot of fun to arrange.

Games & Sources

Actraiser

Edited by Chimpazilla
closed decision

opens with classical guitar. this isn't particularly realistic nor does it attempt to sound idiomatic, but does fit the original's style. this entire first section through 0:42 is, to my ears, direct from the midi. we then get a great variations sections that focuses on the eighth-two sixteenth pattern, then steps down through the circle of fifths in a descending pattern. this section is awesome from an arrangement perspective! i love the variations concept here. 

1:07 returns to the midi and goes almost completely straight from the midi again, and we get a repeat of the previous variations section from 0:42. 2:14 is a new section that's essentially 0:42 in major, which is a fun turn of idea. there's a repeated fanfare section to end it on a cadence, and we're done.

this is a really fun idea! i can't imagine that this isn't doable with performers - it'd just take a bit of patience learning to arrange it, but it should be eminently doable with live artists. that'd fix my number one issue here, which is that it doesn't sound real at all. you do a lot more with dynamics than i'd have expected, but ultimately the lack of idiomatic playing makes it pretty clear. separately, the arrangement has great ideas but isn't ready for primetime yet. the repetition of the first minute or so in its entirety is too much copypasta, first of all, and the inclusion of the original midi for the first 40ish seconds with no changes is probably a standards violation right there. if you were to instead add some countermelodic or contrapunctal elements to that first 40s, then change it up further when you repeat the first minute (both the theme and the variation), that'd be more than enough arrangement for me! but as is it's not enough.

this is such a fun idea! i'd love to hear it with a more realistic depiction of classical guitar and a more involved arrangement.

NO

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 8:05 AM, prophetik music said:

this is a really fun idea! i can't imagine that this isn't doable with performers - it'd just take a bit of patience learning to arrange it, but it should be eminently doable with live artists. that'd fix my number one issue here, which is that it doesn't sound real at all. you do a lot more with dynamics than i'd have expected, but ultimately the lack of idiomatic playing makes it pretty clear. separately, the arrangement has great ideas but isn't ready for primetime yet. the repetition of the first minute or so in its entirety is too much copypasta, first of all, and the inclusion of the original midi for the first 40ish seconds with no changes is probably a standards violation right there. if you were to instead add some countermelodic or contrapunctal elements to that first 40s, then change it up further when you repeat the first minute (both the theme and the variation), that'd be more than enough arrangement for me! but as is it's not enough.

this is such a fun idea! i'd love to hear it with a more realistic depiction of classical guitar and a more involved arrangement.

Feels like a throwback right from the get-go; sounds straight out of a mid-90s PC game where you're stopping by a village. :-) I'll sound glib as if I didn't enjoy the track or feel it's not worth a "full" vote. proph summarized this well. There's too much repetition, and the arrangement -- while going in the right direction of transformation -- was too repetitive in a cut-and-paste feeling way. The sampled guitar tone was decent albeit obviously not humanized, and the timing was too rigid. It's too tough to really get beyond the issues adding up when taking into account the arrangement not feeling fully developed & evolving relative to what we're presently looking for. Great base here though, Justin, and I like the way this is a more intimate and stripped down texture; would love to hear another pass at this to further vary up the arrangement as well as humanize the timing.

NO (resubmit)

Co-signing with the guys.  This actually sounds really nice to me!  But the sampled guitar is too exposed to carry the arrangement.  If you could get someone to play this, that would be amazing!  It would also be good to have some more interpretation in the arrangement so it doesn't resemble the source so much, and writing variation so it isn't so repetitive.  While not necessary, having some backing elements would be nice, even a sweepy pad, string layer, or very light percussion, varied as the piece moves along so it avoids repetition.  Honestly I am enjoying listening to this!  It's just not ready yet for OCR.  I would really love to hear it again with improvements made!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to *NO* ActRaiser "The People's Rejoice"
  • Chimpazilla locked this topic