OCR04682 - Streets of Rage "Twin Fire"

• 1 month later...

For the first time, I'm going to write a review on my own track, because this track has a lot of emotional weight attached to it.  My writeup for this remix was intentionally terse because I didn't want to let on just how much I had invested in this remix.  But now is the time for this track to get its' flowers and also to share some personal thoughts because I am soft retiring from making remixes (again)

This remix is my favorite audio thing I've ever released on the internet.  It is the only remix I've ever made that I have remixed numerous time for my own listening.  I think the main reason I like this remix so much is because I got lucky and struck gold with the sub bass tone I got during the chorus.  It is kind of absurd just how obsessed with this track I was when I was working on it.  It's all I could think about.  I listened to this remix with every pair of headphones that I had, not just my new ones, also in the car and laptop speakers.  I walk alone often at work and I would be always listening and writing down notes about what I would change when I got home.  I did this remix almost entirely in headphones (Like all my remixes) and it took a week or so after I submitted this remix for my hearing to go back to normal.  I was intensely proud of this remix, but I am also not proud at the same time.  Like a lot of my musical works, I didn't sound design anything original, I altered presets and used a bunch of samples.  And at the end of the day, my production level isn't anywhere close to where it would need to be to be commercially viable.

Some people know that I recently went on a review bomb spree.  This was partially to try and give back.  The whole reason I did this remix and in fact got back into making remixes was because I got a nice comment on a video.  That's all it took.  I know how much power a comment or review can have so I wanted to spread that around.  However, my review bomb wasn't entirely altruistic.  Truth be told, the biggest reason why I went on the review spree was because I was working on this remix and I wanted people to hear it.  I immaturely figured that if I reviewed a bunch of remixes, that this remix would get more attention when it came out.  My plan didn't work lol.  I also sent this remix to friends and family, something I usually don't do.  I was so proud of this remix.  The response I got was essentially a giant single thumbs up from the world, a quick nod of positive acknowledgement before it fades into the internet ether.  I don't blame them though.  After creating this, I went on spotify and listened to random solo artists from my favorite edm genres and proceeded to remember how much better at production every single artist I listened to was.  What's sad is that some of these artists don't have a ton of traction view wise themselves, what hope would I ever have?  With the current music landscape being what it is, and with me approaching 40 and with ai on the rise, I don't think I have a place in the online music space anymore (Not that I had much of one to begin with.).  I still have a couple of remixes in the judges queue, they were remixes I was working on while Twin Fire was waiting to be posted so I figured I might as well post them and tie up any remaining remix loose ends.

I am still proud of this remix in of itself and I enjoy listening to it, so I don't regret making it.  Keep awesome video game soundtracks alive!

Edited by CJthemusicdude

There are still some people here in the community that share your same qualms with the current music landscape. For what it's worth, out of the last twenty tracks posted until now, your Twin Fire has kept me coming back for relistens almost every day until now, so I think you are right with striking gold analogy. I have no idea what constitutes a warm reception in this era, but it's true that there can be a feeling of underwelmingness with many things thesedays. I'm still old-school enough to make my own playlists rather than have something fed to me. This track certainly makes the cut for many of them. Look forward to hearing the ones that eventually make their way down the queue!