*NO* ToeJam & Earl 'Jam Toe Jam'

Liontamer

Little rough, but funky, no? - LT

Hey OCR!

The name's Moo2u.

First off, I'd like to say I'm a big fan of the site. I've been lurking all over the boards, downloaded every track I can get my grubby mitts on, and enjoyed Pixietricks and Zircon's ramblings in bad accents for a while now, so it's really exciting to finally get to submit something!

The track I'm submitting is performed by myself on keys, and my fellow band mates as The Tallest Band on Earth. We started our little funk group last summer, and finally got around to try our hand at some recording. Right from the get go (me being the VG music fan of the group) I wanted to do at least one video game track, and the oft overlooked Toejam & Earl came straight to mind. How could a game based around funk saving the day be so ignored! Anyway...

What I hoped to accomplished with this track is to have it structured, yet have it open enough for lots improvisation (which is what we love to do.) Very relaxed, funky and free. Essentially, I wanted to keep the jam in Toejam, ya dig?

Ok, enough of that, let's get down to the facts!

Contact info...

Remix info...

• Name of game: Toejam & Earl
  • Comments: Other than what I said above, we just like to have fun. Our sound is based off of a lot of the greats including Parliment, Tower of Power, earily Chili Peppers, and of course the late great James Brown.

I hope yall enjoy it!

- Moo2u

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=82 - "ToeJam Jammin'"

The performance is pretty decent, though there are some instances where it feels like y'all aren't quite playing together. Bass joining in at :12 sounds off, and shortly after, the brass is also off.

Not sure why there's delay on the whole thing. Lots o' bass in here for some good meat in the background, though more high-end presence would have been good. Right now, it sounds a bit lossy. The melodic portion of the song seems too low compared to the supporting instrumentation, and the background ironically feels a bit empty, undermining a lot of the energy here.

Around 2:29 seemed sloppy. The freestyling afterward sounded pretty decent, but again, it seems like the lead parts aren't cutting through like they should. 3:09 = ouch. Crappy segue with that squeaky brass, but the next section from 3:11-3:30 was alright. Ending wasn't strong, as the timing from 3:49-on seemed just slightly sluggish.

With a tighter collective performance and better attention to the sound balance, this would be killer, but right now my gut says it's tiptoeing on the line. When in doubt, my gut goes NO (borderline). I like the arrangement, but the corresponding polish isn't there. Could snag some YESs though, so best of luck on the rest of the vote.

• 1 month later...

I think the arrangement is great and the performance is good. I think this could be an easy YES if the production were a bit better, so I'm going to request that you fix up the production thusly:

-Everything is too quiet. Maximize.

-Bass too loud. This is true of both the instrument and the frequency range. This track has a big fat ass.

-horns arent bright enough. Need to emphasize key frequencies to make the track brighter. (hi on flute, mid-hi on alto, mid-low on bari.)

-Drums are muddy. Don't know how you recorded the drums, but if you separated the drums to different tracks, the kick has too much low, and the snare doesnt have enough mid-hi.

like i said, if you fix the production this is an easy YES.

NO

The performances are really good here, but I agree with Larry that they could be just a LITTLE tighter at some poinst (with regards to eachother - the individual stuff is fine). It's more noticeable in the intro. Sound balance and mixing is weird and it doesn't quite sound right. The kick for example is extremely boomy, but it has no real attack... just bassy energy. The hat and snare are dull. The melody is sometimes the same volume or softer than the harmony. Basically, just take another look at the mixing and don't be afraid to use some effects to sweeten the parts.. some light verb or delay on the EP for example would probably sound great.

The arrangement is great. No problems there. So really, fix up the production a bit and I think this will be gold and ready to post. Hope to hear more!

NO