*NO* Chrono Cross 'Running After You'

Liontamer

Yo,

Got a new submission for ya.

Remixer name: Darangen

email: darangen@hotmail.com

Game: Chrono Cross

Song: Dream of the Shore Boarding Another World

I entered this in the Dwelling of Duels Chrono Month (December / M5) and it scored 2nd place there.

Been wanting to do this theme forever, that just gave me a kick in the pants to actually do it :)

Also, this is going to be part of The Prophet of Mephisto and Geoffrey Taucer's Radical Dreamers project, so in the event that it is excepted, please hold it for release with that project.

-Michael "Darangen" Boyd

PS - Dave, I still owe you $5 for that McDonalds meal. You didn't come back sunday so I couldn't pay you then.

---------------------------------------------------------

Forget Dave. He's rollin' on dubz as it is. I'LL take your $5 and buy a couple comic books with it.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 107 "Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World"

Gentle string and piano opening is joined by beats and spices at :21. Interesting textures here that I wouldn't necessarily think of putting together. 1:15 hit the rock portion with a spirited rendition of the source melody. Going back to that beat pattern at 1:40 seemed a bit anticlimactic.

Went back to another verse of the source melody on layered electric guitars at 2:04, only this time capping the melody off all the way from 2:44-3:08. Nice transition at 3:08 to a brief soft section before going for the shredding at 3:29 on top of the chord progression of the original. Just listening to the stuff Mike's playing was ridiculous; the dexterity and control needed to pull it off was simply impressive.

You can hear the source melody really softly behind the shred solo, but it minorly detracted from the solo for me. Why bother even having than in there; it's not needed to anchor the arrangement, IMO. Awesome close at 4:22 moving back into the strings and piano to close things out full circle compared with the intro.

Not quite my cup of tea, but a no-brainer regardless. Arrangement was solid and the sounds were very nicely balanced. You guys ever sit and just listen to Darangen play assorted stuff on his acoustic? If not, it's highly recommended.

YES

EDIT (1/14/08): Info on integrating a significant amount of non-VGM music into the arrangement means it's unfortunately a standards violation, and the second time this has happened with a track from Mike. I'm not mad, but you really should be giving a heads-up in these situations. This is not the way we should be finding out about this.

NO OVERRIDE

• 1 month later...

As Larry said, pretty interesting texture here and not quite what you'd expect. Your drums this time around are processed better than in previous subs. That kit is becoming your signature thing :) When things pick up at 1:15, I was feeling it. Reminds me of C.Pacaud and K.Praslowicz stylistically... sort of dark and moody. The guitar mixing strikes me as a bit weird but it works well. Solos + original material are great as usual, and overall the arrangement is very good. I like the different styles you used here.

Nice work, Mike!

YES