*NO* GoldenEye 007 'Rocking the Cradle'

Liontamer

Game: Goldeneye

Level: Antenna Cradle

Title: Goldeneye Rocking the Cradle OC ReMix

ReMixer: Miszou

E-mail: greg@silverlinestudios.net

Here's a mix that I finally got around to finishing a couple weeks ago. Since the original source tunes from Goldeneye use a lot of the original Bond theme, I thought integrating it wouldn't be that big of a deal. There's only one real section where the Bond theme is present front and center; hopefully that won't cause an instant rejection.

All the ID3v2 tags are correct as far as I know.

Cheers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original royalty-free music composing and web design:

www.silverlinestudios.net

-Greg Michalec

This is what I said when I listened to this in the WIP forums:

Production is good, no issues for me there at all. I like how you changed some of the notes so it didn't sound exactly like the bond theme, perhaps if you had made the notes even more different to make it obvious, people wouldn't have identified it as 'wrong'. The only issue here for me is if this will be simply identified as a bond remix, rather than a Goldeneye mix, as everyone has already said.

Perhaps a more liberal interpretation of the bond melody itself (you were already half-way with that), with the bond melody as you had it at 2.33 (for 'recognisability', don't even know if that's a real word!) will give the panel a real original impression of this, which will improve your chances. Apart from that issue, I would have no reservations at all about giving this a yes.

The only issue for me is the fact that it's the James Bond theme which is being remixed. Everything else about this for me is above bar. With much more original material, I would have not hesitated, but so many elements of the theme are there. After thinking about this for some time, I'm gonna have to go with a

NO

The cradle track is a remix of the james bond theme, but it does at least have an original feel and some other original material. Meaning, theoretically i have no problem with a remix of that track being an OCReMix.

This track aint bad. In the first half anway, the original track is clearly touched upon in the low piano riff at the very beginning and slow strings. However, in the second half, it's really just a remix of the bond theme with very no reference to the remixed goldeneye track. On the whole I feel the track is a little too reliant on the drums, and the rest of the material is rather thin. (see 1:30)

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/usf/ge64usf.rar - 118 "Antenna Cradle"

To clarify (as a source tune like this that integrates mainstream music can seem pretty dicey), this has no chance of being posted if a significant part of the mix arranges the James Bond theme.

Any incorporation of non-game music (mainstream' date=' classical, etc.) should be very limited and should never carry significant portions of the mix. For example, a Mega Man mix that used Beethoven's 9th symphony for its chorus, where 15-25% of the mix was not from the game itself, would likely be rejected.[/quote']

In this case, the challenge in arranging any GoldenEye 007 music for OCR is creating an arrangement primarily out of the original composition component of the source material. Focus on the original motifs from Cradle and ignore most of the rest. Any Bond theme reference should be relatively minimal. A shame in relation to this mix, because removing most of the Bond theme from it straight up guts the meat of it.

That grungy-ish lead synth first used at :08 is kinda tacky, followed up by the tackier-sounding melodic lead at :24, but you played around with it with some effects a few seconds later to change the feel a bit. Piano at :50 was really robotically sequenced. The sounds aren't that hot, especially the tone and articulation of the orchestrated stuff, but the effort is there to make the textures and the whole package sound relatively unique.

I disagreed with Vigilante's comments on parts of the track being thin, him citing that the section at 1:28 was a problem. I thought it had a good sense of dynamic contrast with the surrounding sections. Dynamic contrast from section to section was a big plus on the writing side and illustrated that you do have an ear for buildups and breakdowns; definitely keep that skill with you, Greg.

On the production side, things got really cluttered during the busier sections, e.g. 2:06-2:57. 2:31-2:56 had the same clutter issues, and was way too loud and piercing with the higher frequencies as well. Pare down the volume, and separate your sounds better. You definitely should get some feedback from the WIP forum in the future so that others can help point out issues like that before you submit.

Even if the arrangement were kosher, your production and mixing is not. Stick around though and keep gaining experience with new projects.

NO

You definitely should get some feedback from the WIP forum in the future so that others can help point out issues like that before you submit.

This is what I said when I listened to this in the WIP forums

Pay attention, Larry. His WIP thread is right here: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5967

Anyway, at a certain point, the cradle theme is no longer the focus of the arrangement, and that's a problem.

NO

pay attention? larry doesnt even listen to the remixes. He just randomly selects from a pool of epic-length stock votes and assumes no one will read them too closely. Obviously the system doesnt work if you actually read the votes. :-P

Bingo.

Pay attention, Larry. His WIP thread is right here: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5967

"Hell no, we won't go!"