*NO* Super Mario World 'Submerged'

Liontamer

Hi,

I'm POCKETMAN. (Clay Moffatt)

I'm submitting a song. But I would also like to know what happend to my other remix I submitted? Once Upon a Nightmare. I got the confrimation,but it never hit the judging panel, I don't believe anyways.

This remix is Entitled Submerged. It comes from Super Mario World. The Underground and Donut Plains levels. At 1:56 it's suppose to sound like you've gone underground. Just thought I would let you know. Thank you.

Also, i'm sending this as a file attachment because my googlepages usually only lets you download about 2/3 of a song.

• 4 weeks later...

Luigi's Mansion "Once Upon a Nightmare" did not hit the panel. That sub was received on 1/13 and the form letter was sent on 1/20 to the dragonballzim address.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=smw - "Underground BGM" (smw-12a.spc)

I liked the ethnic feel of the first few seconds. As the orchestration kicked in, the samples definitely didn't sound like the real thing, but the articulations are pretty decent to me, attack complaints noted. All your sounds need more depth and power though to fulfill the intentions of the writing.

Yeah, there's some audio glitch/skip around :53 that needs to be fixed. No big deal. 1:06, that mallet percussion or whatever just sounds way too spartan. Aside from the writing changing awkwardly (boo!), the reason that transition doesn't work better IMO is because the dynamic contrast in the mix is pretty weak. You textures aren't very thick to begin with, so the contrast goes from "pretty empty to very empty" rather than "full to empty".

Mix picked up a bit at 1:46 before going for a more militaristic finish with some Eastern spices for the last few seconds. Pretty interesting mish-mash of sounds there, Clay. If you can flesh out the sounds more and, like Vigilante mentioned, develop the arrangement further (it needs more ideas, length and reinterpretation), then this arrangement could be pretty badass. Good base so far. It would need a fair amount of work to get it above the bar, but it's definitely worth a legit shot.

NO (resubmit)

Definitely some interesting ideas here. The arrangement isn't very coherent, however, and the production is amateurish. Your sequencing isn't that bad, you just need to learn how to work with your samples better.

I agree with Larry's comments regarding the structure of the arrangement (i.e. sparse leading to super-ultra sparse), so maybe that's something to bear in mind if you revisit this.

I'll be interested to hear any future submissions you might have.

NO