Elektrofunk - She's Fast

polar-

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing people interested in making electro makes me really happy. I must say first that I enjoyed your song but I have some advice for you that can get your song to the next level.

First and foremost, the voice/vocoding work is the best part of the mix. I totally love it, I'm a big vocoder fan and I love everything vocoding-related. I Think you did a really nice work, the most important thing about vocoded vocals in an electro song such as this is the groove and the pace the have, and I think you got it right. Very very nice.

The thing I don't like about this song is the overall rawness. If you're an electro fan, then we both know that electro is meant to be simple but still, the lack of processing really brings down the song overall. If you listen to some Model 500, I-F, Dynamix or even Kraftwerk you will see that although the sounds are simple they have a lot of processing around them. Same with the drums, maybe you're tryng to infuse the song with a funk feel with the simple and unprocessed drums, which is in theory a good idea but I think the implementation here is lacking a bit.

Also I think you need to try to unify your ideas a bit more, the first section has a whole different feel than the rest of the song, same with the section near the end. I don't mean that you should have a repetition-fest a-la daft punk but that you should try to make the whole song have the same mood.

Then I also think your song lacks the "coldness" found in lectro songs, and I think it's mostly the lack of ambient effects around it. The Main synth is acting both as a lead and as the bass, I think you should separate it and bring a more funky/groovy bassline.

But yeah, as I said I really like this and I think it has lots of potential. Just add more detail, play more with your synths and try to make them sound less default-y. I loved the work you did with the vocals, very varied and good processing overall, try to bring that to the whole song. I'll be looking forwards to more electro from you, it's a rarity around here and I'm a big fan of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that was an awesome response! I agree with you on many of your points, and i'm actually rewriting big parts of the song. It will feature on my soon-to-come EP, and i want it to be as good as I have the ability to make it. I'm a huge electro fan, but i'm also trying to take this somewhere new, if you catch my drift.

Thanks again, I'll post it when it's done!

Peace