Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4451

Shaun Wallace

avaris.studios@gmail.com

avaris

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Intro Theme

Midi: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gamecube/index-gr.html

Remix:

Well here's the resub on my Metroid Prime 2 mix. I almost sent it back late last November, but luckily some people gave me some really good critiques and encouragement. (James George, Splunkle, BGC) So I stepped back from the mix for awhile and came back to it.

Compared to the last submission, there have been some major changes.

I got the echo on the piano in the first section using Spektral Delay to put delay on only certain frequencies. Also pretty much 75% of the instruments have been changed. Alot of people have asked me what i used for the sustained airy like synth in the breakout section. It's actually a shakugachi flute soundfont that I processed out the yang.

Besides that I used Absynth and Sytrus for everything except the

piano. Anyways hope you guys n gal enjoy.

~Shaun

You lay some good textures from time to time in this track,but on the whole, the arrangement is too sparse. In an ambient piece one would expect the ideas to be slow to develop, but here they really dont develop at all. there's a little bit of movement halfway through, but it goes as suddenly as it comes. there are lots of melody lines which sound rather akward, but don't have any harmony behind them.

i think this track needs more direction.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Metroid Prime 2 (Game Rip) - 01 "Title Theme"

Sounds cleaner than last time around, and gets into the arrangement of the theme a lot quicker as well. The percussion is what's gonna give a piece like this some direction. Unfortunately, it sounds completely aimless, thereby inadvertently derailing the direction of the rest of the first section.

Shifts over into the melody more overtly at 1:35. That monophonic lead at 1:57 is too syrupy sweet for this ominous ambiance. There's some support for the lead thanks to some glassy effects on the other sounds, which was good but could have meshed more with the lead. Like Vigilante alluded to, where's the harmony?

Noticed the structure of the first sub was retained, including some of the odd phrasing (2:29-2:31, 2:46-2:49). It needs to sound more melodious; should have gotten rid of it or altered it this time around.

The production's a bit better, but even in light of the changes vs. the first version, this still needs more meat and more direction, I'm afraid. Perhaps time to let this one go.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of improvements here, Shaun. Notably so in light of your first sub.

I really like the dark, aquatic-like mood you've applied to the MP2 theme. The flute that kicks in at 1:56 does so a little too suddenly, thus making the shift a little more awkward than it should have been. A nice FX swell would have covered that up, or at least made the shift a little more seamless.

You get substantial points for your approach, and also for your concept of arrangement. I think it's unique, and definitely different enough that nobody can respectfully say that this is "too similar to the original" :)

I think Larry's right--it might be time to take a break from this one, so you don't wear yourself out. The main hangups I suppose I still have deal primarily with the mixing (reverb is a double-edged sword, and difficult to wield in the ambient genre), and also with the lack of deep bass tones to add a richer sound and increase depth. There was a little throughout, like at 3:30 underneath the piano, but it was sooooo quiet.

Man, again, I apologize sincerely for not getting back to you as you sent me the WIPs. I'd like to hear more ambient stuff like this on the site, and yours has made substantial progress from phase one. Still not there, unfortunately, but don't be discouraged. I think each I hear from you shows more experience and promise than the one before. Keep 'em coming, and you'll land a spot on the front page.

NO