*NO* Mega Man 3 'Snakes & Contraband'

Liontamer

Sample quality is really poor, but the arrangement at least has some spirit - LT

Remix:

Contact Info

* GMerriment

* Rob Cain

* gmerriment@gmail.com

* www.rrpresents.com (unrelated to remixing)

* Don't know my userid ... sorry?

[ edit]

ReMix Info

* Game remixed: Megaman 3

* Remix of: (Medley) Snakeman's Theme, Hardman's Theme, Shadowman's Theme, Protoman's Theme, Title Theme

* Comments:

I wanted to try a treatment of the Snakeman theme that resembled Duke Ellington's swing works, and a medley ensued... from nowhere, ideas for other songs fell into place and gave the piece depth and movement. My favorite is still the Shadowman section that slows the whole thing down quite suddenly. Some parts were very tricky to iron out as large numbers of brazen instruments can easily become muddy without the proper EQ settings... notably the bass in the Hardman section was a big problem. But all in all I think it is quite easily my best piece of instrumental music yet, and I hope you enjoy!

* Note to The Pretzel: When I finished this song it turned out to be 5.96mb, which is just under your limit! I was so happy... then I uploaded it and it turned out to be 6.25 on the server! Please listen to the song before you auto-reject it based on size, I can't shrink it any or the quality is dramatically reduced... I don't have the tools to compress losslessly. If it's not possible to make an exception, I'll see what I can do but please please please listen to it first. I waited for 2 years for Dangerous Dungeons to make it and it got auto-rejected every time. Please listen to this one! Thank you!

--

Rob Cain

---------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - A lot of 'em

For the record, tracks aren't auto-rejected based on the site's size limit. They're auto-rejected based on our submissions standards. If a track was good enough, we could always ask the artist in question for a <6MB version.

The volume was noticeably too loud. Not a huge deal, but some of the fuller parts got pretty blistering. The sample quality and lackluster textures tend to kill this off no matter how good the arrangement was. Unfortunately, the arrangement wasn't that strong either, but I'll get to that later. Everything's too thin and overly loud. The snare writing was boring, even though you had those hats crazily ticking away. Track changed dramatically at 2:05, but again most of the sounds were thin and ugly. Sequenced plucked strings at 2:20 sounded horrible in particular. Ending at 4:08 was "I-give-up"-ish; sounded like a 10-cent attempt at a ship's horn blowing, it sounded that cheap.

You need better sounds, stuff not so MIDI-grade and default-y. I like how you tried to weave different themes together occasionally, but the way the track transitioned from theme to theme so spastically meant that nothing was getting developed on the arrangement side. Everything just moved from theme to theme like this the whole time.

On top of that, there's little-to-no consideration given to how the various parts/instruments sound together. You gotta understand, just because they're playing together busily, it doesn't automatically get the job done. There's no synergy, just that which is called "clusterfuck". Snakes & Clusterfuck.

NO

• 1 month later...

i think the sequencing hurts more than the samples. Maybe I take that back. The drums are often not quantized. The brass parts are too fast for the samples. it's manic. Everything is really super fast and really super busy. Needs some dynamics, which we don't get until the abrupt transition to the...second theme, which i forget which boss it is. i think this downtempo section is the best in the song. the composition is still close to the original, but the stylistic interpretation is pretty cool.

those "guitars" have got to go, as do the brass samples.

aside from that, the arrangement is pretty much a cover with some ornamentation. Medlyitis.

NO

Would have been great if I didn't have to go on a hunt within the OST to find all the sources...[/rant]

Well, after hunting and listening for some 15 - 20 minutes, I got tired and impatient, so I just dove right into the remix. LT's right - these samples just won't fly here. Back in the day (waaaay before OCR, back when I was using a 486 33Mhz computer) I used to compose/arrange stuff in a program called Midisoft Studio 2.0 on our SoundBlaster old-as-hell-something card. This is exactly how it sounded.

Basically, here's the deal. Your writing isn't really too bad; I found many parts of your track enjoyable to listen to, and I personally don' mind all the "really super busy" parts that much, really, for the most part. The section at 3:19 was pretty cool, I thought. Piano at :26 had an Ace of Bass

Seriously though, the brass, electric guitar, strings, drums, bass, EVERYTHING sounds like general MIDI. Is that what you used? It'd be hard to convince me otherwise at this point.

As far as the arrangement goes, from the themes I did find to associate with your medly, Vig is right about the "medlyitis". That is, too much source is crammed into a track that needs to be under 6MB (which 160kbps wouldn't have hurt this one bit, IMO) and therefore doesn't really get reinterpreted in a substantially solid manner, except for the instrument upgrades.

Sorry bro, not a bad piece, but I advise you to seek out better software and samples to construct your piece with in the future. Best of luck in your works in the future, Rob.

NO

totally unrelated, my wife (huge Disney fan) thought your comic project was pretty cool :)