Liontamer

Yo OC Remix,

Remixer Name: Tim French

Email: tenacious_t134@yahoo.com

Don't have a website

Don't have userid

Game: Super Metroid

Song: Red Brinstar

Info.: I think you got everything down pat on your site.

Link: You've already got it.

Comment: First work so I decided to try to tackle a simplier piece and I enjoyed doing it. I hope you guys can enjoy it just as much as I did. As you can hear I'm a big fan of filters.

not bad, but there are a lot of things you could work on to smooth it out. The whole thing is mixed too low. The instruments, both samples and synths sound primative. this is partly a function of processing...lack of reverb, etc. the solo violin sounds particularly bare. The track is also fairly simple from an arrangement standpoint. there's very little going on harmonically all the way through. the violin line at the 2 minute mark is harmonically primitive, playing parallel octaves with the bass synth.

not bad, keep working

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area" (sm-20.spc)

Opening's pretty similar to the intro, except with that additional filtered line. Some percussion segues to a bassline and percussion joining in at 1:11. Arrangement-wise, the intro was boring. The source tune is great, but this did nothing markedly interpretive with it.

1:36-2:47 was a decent change of pace with some originality, but the tempo and overall vibe remained the same. Bring more contrast into the picture so the overall energy doesn't drag. You also need more complex textures; like Vigilante said, there's little going on harmonically, leaving your melodic content barren the whole way through.

Needs more beef, more involved percussion writing, and more sophisticated textures. Decent base, but it would need a lot more work.

NO

A little too cover-ish from start to about 1:36. I liked the sound the violin added to the original theme. The clap at 1:11 sounded way out of place.

I was glad to hear some deviation around 1:37, but I think despite taking the melody for a walk, the creativity was still a little uninspired. The lead violin could use some more attention the dynamics. It was kind of... dull for lack of a better word. I liked the bass rhythm at 3:23. Jess is right about this being mixed too low.

Overall, this has a very simplistic feel--not a lot went into the construction of this mix I feel. It started out almost verbatim to the source--sweeping pads, violin, choir, piano, and some synth lead toward the end.

You've gotta find a way to bring a little more emotion into the piece. This source has excellent potential for bringing in a very somber and mysterious and dark vibe, but I think your remix is still a little unrealized at this point. Not bad, though. This probably would have made it 5 or so years ago, but there's lots of room for it to grow into something a little darker with more power.

NO