*NO* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'Gerudo Desert Funk'

Liontamer

Dear OC ReMix,

I would like to submit my newest remix on your website.

Remixer: DarkMessenger

Email: nielsvanderleest@planet.nl

Game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Song titel: Gerudo Desert Funk

Additional info:

* System: Nintendo Wii

* Copyright: Nintendo

* Composers: Asuka Ota, Toru Minegishi & Koji Kondo

Source: Gerudo Desert Theme (link from )

Download link:

I hope you’ll like it.

Yours truly,

DarkMessenger

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh. Hearing this source track, I'm a little disappointed that the sound quality of the Zelda soundtracks hasn't stepped up. It's basically the same quality as the N64 series, but as usual the writing compensates for the bleh sounds.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Game Rip) - "Gerudo Desert"

Interesting opening, decidedly different from the source. Beats arriving at :08 came in rather abruptly and didn't seem to mesh right with the piano or bassline. :26 switched over to an organ, before a jazzy stab at :43 segued back into the beats and bassline. Brass at :52 sounded tacky and didn't cut through the beats and bassline enough. Sax at 1:09 was also really thin/cheap and too quiet just like the brass stabs before it. You gotta re-adjust the balance among the parts. The melodic arrangement ended up too straightforward once you get into the heart of the track.

Cool hand drum solo idea from 1:44-2:21, taking a background instrumentation concept and deciding to do an original section out of it. Abrupt transition back to the bass & beats ideas of the intro for a bit before ending with the drums. Ending was too sudden.

These sudden transitions are pretty lame; you really need to make them more seamless so that the flow of the track isn't broken so badly. The textures here were fairly thin (with the drums being the only exception), most of the samples were really thin and fake-sounding, the sound balance was off, and the arrangement development was minimal. Good base, but there's no attention paid to the details that count.

NO

• 3 months later...

quite groovetacular. You've got a decent dance track here, but from a listener's perspective, i think it needs a bit more. the saxophone section is great, the hand percussion section is fantastic. Problem with the track is that the musical ideas are snippets, and seem unrelated. there's a great deal of repetition and not a great deal of development. that and the ending sucks.

like what i'm hearing, look forward to more.

NO

regardless of the actual methods used to create this submission, this *sounds* like you got ahold of some funky loops, slapped 'em together, then recorded some groovy hand percussion shizz over the top.

the abrupt transitions, lack of continuity, and the cutout ending all smack of this approach.

if this isn't how you pieced this together, then you should put some more effort into your arrangement. if this is composed primarily of loops, then you should probably take some more initiative in writing your own stuff. that makes it easier to actually build a cohesive structure for your song.

still, this sounds pretty good.

NO