Adding Instruments To FL Question

I know the sticky at the top of the thread that has links to places to download or buy synths, samples or effects. My question is a bit more specific: Are there any "packs" designed for creating trance or anything like that? You know, commonly used sounds? The stuff that comes with FL is strange.

If not, are there any particular recommendations for what I'm looking for? Perhaps quality bass hits or drums, piano, etc?

And finally, are things like this generally free?

FL's tools are sufficient in making decent trance or dance- trance was made with experimenting with known presets (for example, Vangelis' strings and choirs from the 80's would later be used and modified by tweaking them.) It's all about tweaking the instruments and knowing a little about sound theory (you learn that stuff by fooling around and reading about articles about the knobs you are using.)

Fruity Piano might be weak - but hey, too many artists made hits using the Korg M1 piano so hey, it's not exactly worthless.

Are there any "packs" designed for creating trance or anything like that?

Hell yes. Google Superwave P8, it's free and you get decent trance pads and leads right in the presets. FL comes with okay dance drums, though you might wanna get that huge pack of drums Zircon has. I have no idea if he still has it anywhere for download, but I got this huge pack of oneshot drums separated by bass/kick, snare, and hat/cymbal. Probably some duplicates in there and the samples are a varying quality but there's some OK stuff there. Ask him :3

Hell yes. Google Superwave P8, it's free and you get decent trance pads and leads right in the presets. FL comes with okay dance drums, though you might wanna get that huge pack of drums Zircon has. I have no idea if he still has it anywhere for download, but I got this huge pack of oneshot drums separated by bass/kick, snare, and hat/cymbal. Probably some duplicates in there and the samples are a varying quality but there's some OK stuff there. Ask him :3

Alright, so Superwave P8 and Zircon's drum pack.

What about stuff for video game-esque music? Any packs for that sort've thing?

Thanks guys!

Modern VG music? If you want American, you need Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, Vienna Symphonic Libraries, and Absynth 4. Japanese VG music? Look for a 10 year old Roland synthesizer.

I'm thinking modern VG (and hell, even anime music). Can I download those off the net, or do they cost something?

I like music from the Final Fantasy games, Xenogears, Tales of The Abyss, et. al.

Well, you don't really need any of that stuff yet.

Just WRITE SOMETHING with what you have, RIGHT NOW, or you'll never understand how the higher-end stuff works. You don't need the cream of the crop right now. The first thing you gotta do is... understand the difference between synthesized sounds and samples :(

Lol I've made a few random little songs. Still don't know quite what I'm doing, but I don't think they sound terrible.

Do you have AIM, by chance? Or a way I could chat easier than typing back and forth on forums? And a way I could possibly let you sample my newbie songs, to see if they're decent or terrible?

EDIT: I see your AIM name is already up there. If you're free for the moment, I could send you the two songs to hear your opinion.

Ah, I got Superwave - didn't realize it was a synthesizer. I have no idea how to really use these things yet to make my own sounds. I thought it was a pack with numerous premade sounds for me to pick from.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. I see that I have to click the upper left corner of the synth and pull up the presets there. Is there a way I can view the synths presets in the browser to make it easier?