*NO* Persona 'Golden Butterfly'

Liontamer

Remixer: Goolancer (Danny Hohman)

Remix title: Golden Butterfly

Game: Revelations: Persona

Original song that was remixed: Velvet Room Theme

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/Persona_psf.zip - 331 "Velvet Room"

Interesting source tune. Danny's got a decidedly different take on it that I'm feeling a bit. The melody's pretty straightforward, doubled at :52 by a quiet nails-on-chalkboard-esque synth. The beatwork is on near-total cruise control. I'm hippin' and hoppin', but it needs more substance to it. The beats overshadow the melody too much as well; would be worth it to adjust the sound balance a bit, though it wasn't a dealbreaker, to be fair.

Cool effect with the source stuff going in and out constantly from 1:33-2:17, before rehashing :52's section until 2:57. Moved over into some organ stuffs covering :51 of the source from 2:57 until the end, albeit slowed down. Organ's arguably too quiet as well. Great base with good personalized ideas in arranging the source, but this needs further development of the material, especially for the beat-driven section. Good work so far, Danny. Just keep it movin' more.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Props in creativity. I disagree that the organ is arguably too soft, it is MOST DEFINITELY too soft. Were I listening to this in my car, I'm pretty sure all I would have heard is 4+ minutes worth of way-too-repetitive drum loop. Melody is pretty much a copy paste kind of job in terms of arrangement. (That is, it's pretty muc exactly the same) in a different key, of course.

Wasn't really grooving to well to this, because it's way too underdeveloped at this point. The only real expansion after more listens was the incorporation of the source into a different genre. Other than that, the mix is extremely lackluster. Too much reverb and repetition of the drum loop. Poor mixing and balance of the instrumentation.

Perhaps give the WIP boards or #ocrwip some consideration in future projects, Danny. Good luck on your future stuff.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The mixing is what kills this, though the repitition doesn't help.

That EP sample is buried 6 feet under the drums, and that's not gonna cut it.

There are some great ideas present in the mix, they just need to be expanded and executed a lot better. Keep at this one, I like where its going.

NO