*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'The Song Stuck in Link's Head'

Liontamer

Rough, but worth some comments - LT

Name: Curtis Eckhardt

Alias: curteck

email:curteck@gmail.com

song title: The Song Stuck In Link's Head

original material: The Dark World theme from Zelda 3. The same song that Gux did in jazz style.

Hope the judges like it. I originally wanted to include lyrics, but after listening to the vocals and how it sounded with everything else... Let's just say I'll do that in a later edit... maybe. I wrote up the drums in FL studio first, then laid down the acoustic guitar, followed by bass, and then laid the final tracks with the electric guitar.

------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - "Dark World" (loz3-12.spc)

Not sure why the panning's so distinct as to actually separate the left and right channels with these two guitars, but on headphones it just comes across as jarring.

Difficult not to notice the sour notes and timing issues here. The performance was alright in most places, but overly simplistic in the treatment of the source tune with no creative compensation on any other level. Certainly not from that ultra-simple drum writing, and more importantly not from the arrangement being completely undeveloped.

Aside from the panning, the mixing was pretty good; something more complex and polished could have worked in terms of this intimate setting, but everything in place here falls flat on so many levels. From that angle, a cool concept. But there's no beef beyond that.

NO

• 2 months later...

The level of re-arrangement was very simplistic here. I'm not a guitar player, but to me the electric guitar could have sounded cleaner, it didn't fit with the acoustic guitar sound - the separation was made worse by the fact that the guitars were so widely panned. This mix didn't seem to hold itself together in other ways as well - the timing was very loose. I think I can tell what sound the remixer was going for, but I don't think it was engaging enough.

NO

Not bad arrangement. The performance is not quite tight. it's not terrible though, because the parts arent terribly complex, but there are slipped rhythms in particular, that irritate. The stereo separation on the guitars is stark, but effective, I think. Big issue for me is the bass, which is very dry, and very muddy. got to bring it out with some midrange frequencies, The drums are notably dry as well. reverb. not bad.

NO