Rap Beats

A sample CD perhaps. Don't let me hear you tell me that it's too expensive; you get a lot of stuff that's already been cookie-cuttered for your convenience. Your other option is to go cratedigging until you've built a collection, and while that's still a worthwile avenue, it's better to have something as a placeholder.

Check the ones at http://www.ueberschall.com/

If you really want the freebies, enjoy ripping the stuff on http://www.breakbeat-paradise.com/bb_samples.php apart :).

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?1330

Well, I found that. $120 isn't too bad. I mean, it's not cheap, but 2.2 GB of beats and such? That should be plenty. I hope so, anyway. Any of the hip hop packs to recommend in particular from ueberschall?

Oh damn, but the one I linked to doesn't work with FruityLoops. :( The compatibility list is:

AU

Cubase

Digital Performer

GarageBand

Logic

Mac

Nuendo

PC

ProTools

RTAS

VSTi

Or wait, is VSTi FL compatible then?

Yes, VSTs are compatible in FL. There are only a handful of plugins that DON'T work in FL, in my experience. The only reason it's not on lists of "officially supported hosts" or whatever is because FL itself is viewed as an amateur tool, or even a toy, rather than a serious program.

BTW I wouldn't buy a library like that. Build the beats yourself, rather than from construction kits, which almost never sound as good. Get Smoker's Delight from eLab first, or maybe even Smoker's Relight if you can afford it. Then just learn simple synth programming since rap beats never really use complex sounds anyway (eg. FM, RM, physical modeling).

Yes, VSTs are compatible in FL. There are only a handful of plugins that DON'T work in FL, in my experience. The only reason it's not on lists of "officially supported hosts" or whatever is because FL itself is viewed as an amateur tool, or even a toy, rather than a serious program.

BTW I wouldn't buy a library like that. Build the beats yourself, rather than from construction kits, which almost never sound as good. Get Smoker's Delight from eLab first, or maybe even Smoker's Relight if you can afford it. Then just learn simple synth programming since rap beats never really use complex sounds anyway (eg. FM, RM, physical modeling).

What's Smoker's Delight or Relight?

Where do I learn simple synth programming? I know you have your tutorials - is that all I need to know?

What's FM, RM and physical modeling? What do those mean? How do you identify them?

EDIT: Okay, I found out what Delight and Relight are. $100 and $200, respectively, the latter having 7 GB of content, so much more worth it. To throw another question out - if FL is seen as a toy, what's something considered more professional?

Not to seem like some generic hip-hop head, but one of the best beat producers I know out there is Dr. Dre, and now Eminem since he's been producing as well. Now, I love their instrumentals to songs, so I'm basically looking to emulate that as best I can. Anyone have any idea or clue as to what they might use? Chances are, it's probably way beyond my budget, since they're part of a huge label with millions of dollars, but I want my stuff to sound fairly decent.

For simple synth programming, yes, my tutorials are good but I also suggest looking around for basic guides on "subtractive synthesis". You want a general understanding of what different knobs do. Then, you can analyze preset sounds on synths you have, tweak the knobs, and see how they affect the sound. With time and practice you will be able to listen to sounds and re-create them on your synths. This takes a little patience of course :)

FM = Frequency Modulation synthesis. RM = ring modulation. Physical modeling = using complex algorithms to emulate the behavior of physical objects (circuits, instrument bodies, strings). Basically, they are all different methods of generating more complex sounds. However, I have yet to hear a popular hip hop beat that really used any of these extensively. Thus, you should start with subtractive synthesis, which is easier to learn and more practical for your needs. Also, many principals you will learn can be applied to other types of synthesis as well.

FL may be SEEN as a toy but I didn't say it was a toy. Many people on OCR use FL and produce pro-quality music with it. I use FL exclusively and prefer it over Logic, Pro Tools, etc. as an all-in-one studio program. In other words; ignore the haters!

i've been trying to start a project called "Chrono Tied" that mixes the Chrono Trigger OST with Fort Minor's "The Rising Tied" nobody's wanted to help with that thus far, but that's kind of on a related subject to this thread (video game music + hip hop = blip hop ?)

Where do I learn simple synth programming? I know you have your tutorials - is that all I need to know?

It's dangerous to go alone. Take this.

What's FM

NI FM7, FM8, Sytrus employ this.

RM

You will not be needing this, ever, unless you want to do Dr. Who's "Dalek" voices.

physical modeling?

A sampled piano can eat up your harddrive like a cookie.

A modelled piano will rape your CPU, but doesn't take that much space.

How do you identify them?

It usually says how they work on the box.

if FL is seen as a toy, what's something considered more professional?

Now, I'm someone who grew up with hardware synthesizers, workstation sequencers, and Cubase - and recently Ableton Live.

Buying any of the above will not make you more professional.

Do you like FL Studio?

Do you get your shit done with FL Studio?

If the answer is yes to both, keep it, and upgrade to a higher version if it's got some options (not instruments! Options!) that you're missing right now.

Anyone have any idea or clue as to what they might use?

Wrong question.

but I want my stuff to sound fairly decent.

To adjust an army proverb:

Amateurs study gearlists. Professionals study production techniques.

• 1 month later...

FL is fine if that's what you like. Lotta big baller producers use FL to win Grammys® now.

The real meat of it is in the mixing and especially in the mastering.

But you're a ways off from that if you're asking these n00b questions. Keep rollin' with the advice people are giving you here.

I always encourage people to make their own beats - don't use straight loops to make your "beats." Things can get a lot more intricate and fun if you construct a beat yourself and your own bassline, etc. When the artist gets their flow over it, you can really go nuts on what you want to change, add, and cut based on what they're saying. How the music dances with the voice is a big part of it all for me.

Get some VSTs, program the stuff yourself, learn to play some decent piano, and never give up.

FL is fine if that's what you like. Lotta big baller producers use FL to win Grammys® now.

The real meat of it is in the mixing and especially in the mastering.

But you're a ways off from that if you're asking these n00b questions. Keep rollin' with the advice people are giving you here.

I always encourage people to make their own beats - don't use straight loops to make your "beats." Things can get a lot more intricate and fun if you construct a beat yourself and your own bassline, etc. When the artist gets their flow over it, you can really go nuts on what you want to change, add, and cut based on what they're saying. How the music dances with the voice is a big part of it all for me.

Get some VSTs, program the stuff yourself, learn to play some decent piano, and never give up.

*agrees with everything Mustin just said*

Not just in hip hop, but generally: do not use stock drum loops man. It's such a cop-out, and in the long run you only hurt yourself. Get all the experience you can with sequencing, or even beat slicing if you wanna go that route (though I still suggest you get lots of practice sequencing-- if you can sequence your own phat beats and THEN slice them, all the better).

Similarly, if you plan to use lots of synths, I suggest you read up on some basic synth theory and learn to make your own patches rather than rely solely on presets. Presets are a good starting place to learn and see how stuff works, but don't use them as a crutch.

Additionally, nothing will help you more as a musician than learning an instrument. I second piano, as it's extremely useful for songwriting, however you can go with guitar, or drums, or anything really. Just having that basic knowledge that comes with instrumentalism goes a long ways, man.

Where can I learn how to do sequencing and beat slicing? I got that huge tutorial archive from Zircon on Synthing, so I'm working on learning that. Does any such thing exist for the other stuff?

Also, I'm learning to play guitar now. Progressing along pretty nicely. Piano was the next thing I wanted to learn. That, or drums.