Userid: 8973

REMIX INFO:

Name of the game: Final Fantasy 7

Name of the original song: Mako Reactor

Name of the remix: Miner's Dream

Link to the remix:

Link to soundtrack: http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar

Comments:

The original title of this piece was "ShinRa's View of the Miner's Dream", but that seemed rather long. Basically it's the Mako Reactor theme from FF7 with a completely different feel. I was thinking about in the game itself when Mako was first introduced/advertized to the Corel miners and everyone and how they loved it at first -- obviously before the consequences appeared.

I hope this makes it, but I more importantly want to see opinions from experienced ReMixers -- have at it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 103 "Mako Reactor"

Completely different is right. I got no idea what the connections are supposed to be here. Woodwinds at :08 seem to be liberally arranging the source melody, then the strings and woodwinds go for some seemingly original material all the way until 1:24. Meanwhile the melody at 1:24 sounds like it only has the most tangential of tangential resemblances to the original. 1:40-1:56 at least sounds similar to the chorus from :49 of the original, but in a different key.

Without timestamping the rest of this, I feel like I hear most of the connections you're going for, but this is WAY too different than the original. Melodically, the resemblance isn't nearly close, and it feels like the source hasn't even been left intact on that level. Meanwhile, the arrangement structure doesn't feel cohesive at all. Wow, what...happened???

NO

• 1 month later...

This one is just a big "huh"? Echoing what Larry said, I made basically 2 connections at most to the source tune. This is really an original song with vague similarities to a small part of the Mako Reactor theme. The style is completely different as well so it's not even the same feel or mood. Not to mention the sequencing and orchestration is really weird and unrealistic. Hit the ReMixing forum for tips on that front, but honestly, this is so far off on the arrangement side that I can't imagine fixing it. Better luck next time.

NO