CMOS checksum error

FiremanJoe

I was using my dad's pc to copy a dvd (he's got the software installed, and the better dvd burner), it froze and I tried to reboot it. No luck, it says 'CMOS checksum error', and I've no idea what that means. Windows refuses to boot up, even in safe mode. Any ideas? ...I really want this fixed before he gets home. =(

...Happy Friday 13th everyone.

Sounds like you may need to reset the BIOS. You would need to find a manual for your motherboard, or find something online with the info.

It's pretty simple, they are just reset by a jumper on the motherboard. The location of the jumper varies by motherboard, which is why you need the manual with the location. Some newer motherboards, however, have a BIOS reset button, which is easily spotted by looking at the motherboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curouis, but what brand of BIOS and what's the exact code it's giving you, it'll probally give you a hexidecial code with the error. If you can tell me that I might be able to tell you if it's the battery, board, or the actual CMOS chip.

-Technikal