*NO* Seiken Densetsu 3 'Manaburn'

Liontamer

remixer name: The Grand Funk Dynasty

email: gfd@seiken.co.uk

forums userid: 20263

game remixed: Seiken Densetsu 3

songs remixed: Angel's Fear, Different Road

remix title: Manaburn

Eh, hey chaps. I think I already sent in a song to your fine establishment a while ago; I apologise, it was terrible. Fortunately I'm better now and can tell when what I make is half-decent. I just took my favourite two songs from this game and switched them up a bit into a sort of ambient electronica thing. They go quite well together I think, have a listen.

Thanks dudes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sd3 - "Angel's Fear" (sd3-3-12.spc) & "Different Road" (sd3-2-07.spc)

Though I didn't think the tone of the drums quite fit. The drum groove is decent, and I see how it's supposed to be laid back and uninvasive. Unfortunately though, I felt it was really simplistic and repetitive. More on that later.

Though a bit muddy, I like your ethereal textures here. Good subtractive and interpretive arrangement of "Angel's Fear" for 1:24's section, just when I was getting worried about the melody being used in too straightforward of a manner. The light electrosynth in the background has some nice embellishing writing that plays with the rhythms of the source's own background writing.

Arrangement segued very seamlessly into "Different Road" at 2:05. Plucked-sounding instrument at 2:46 sounded a bit too rigid and exposed, but combined nicely with the glassy lead at 3:07. At 3:07 though, it would have been better to develop the arrangement of the "Different Road" melody. Bringing that arranged melody back with no variation at 3:07 and keeping it going in the foreground until the very end felt cruise controlled, underdeveloped and repetitive, not helped at all by the simple, repetitive drum grooves criticized up top.

You may hear other opinions, so I don't mean to sound presumptuous. But this arrangement has just about the same level of complexity in the percussion writing as "Different Road", i.e. not enough to function well as a standalone piece, which is a breaking point for an OC ReMix vs. the original music. Some source tunes work great on their own, but many don't. In a sense, it's your objective to get it to that point. "Different Road" works very nicely as BGM, but there's no way you can just cycle through a few very simplistic drum patterns like that track does and expect your mix to retain interest and flow over the long haul.

Further variation and development are gonna be the keys in picking up this one from being merely decent to really solid. Definitely go back to this and resubmit it with some more work. I like the potential of what you've got so far. Use the Works forum for further feedback and try to make sure you get some viable feedback from established ReMixers to really confirm the effectiveness of any new ideas you may have.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

The whole mix feels pretty muddy in terms of production - dark, but not in a good way. Simply increasing high frequencies with EQ, putting in more instruments with a higher timbre, and slimming down low frequencies would help to fix this. I really liked the soft piano playing "Angel's Fear" in the background with variations, but it was a little too quiet & muffled. I disagree with Larry on the drums being out of place - I like how they get more complex over time, and my only really gripe is that the snare and hats don't have enough high end. You did well in terms of layering them over time, though totally switching up the rhythm at a break would have been appreciated. More fills would help too, in order to break up some of the repetition.

The structure of this mix is basically the same motifs and chords, but with continually layered parts after the backing changes at 2:07 or so. I like the approach and you did have a fair amount of original material as well as interpretation of the sources. However it's not QUITE at the bar yet - in my opinion the first half is somewhat weak in comparison to the second, which has that plucked instrument providing a lot of interest and breaking up the repetition. If you could spruce up the first half more and address some of the production things Larry and I have pointed out this would be a YES from me.

NO, RESUBMIT

This track has a lot going for it, so I hope you resubmit. The textures are great. I think the drums could have a bit more presence and variation, but it's not a gigantic problem. I love the feel and the instrumentation. My main complaint is that the track is really quite repetitive, especially until the (guitar?) part comes in around 2:50. that particular instrument sounds weak, especially contrasting with the beautiful pads and bells. Bring more dynamic variation and you have a killer track.

NO