*NO* R.C. Pro-Am 'Pure Ten'

Liontamer

ReMix Download link:

ReMix name: Pure Ten

ReMixer name: Phytre Pighlet

E-mail address: phytrepighlet@gmail.com

Userid: 3191 (Dafydd)

Game ReMixed: R.C. Pro-Am (http://www.ocremix.org/game/rcproam/)

Songs ReMixed: (in order of appearance) (# = nsf #)

#2. Start race

#6. Game Over

#1. Title Theme

#3. Finish race

Comments: I realized R.C. Pro-Am is listed as a game at OCR but it currently has no remixes. Here's the result of that insight. Thanks for Ken Ardency for making a really nice drumkit, Darkesword for hosting it on his website, and to this here website for providing some nice guitar soundfonts: http://www.lyd- teknik.dk/soundfonts.html .

I'm counting on this to get shredded because mixing/mastering/production issues, but if you complain too much about my arrangement being repetitive or whatever (not much source to work from) I'm going cry... at least a little.

// Dafydd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh...certainly a weird artist name. Can't say I like it. Stick with Dafydd. :lol: Anyway...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/rcproam.zip - Tracks 2, 6, 1 & 3

Dave Wise always deserves some arrangement treatment. Cool sound choices for the intro. The plucked acoustic guitar at :29 sounds ultra-mechanical, but at least the tone was fairly good. Good gradual volume raise of the other supporting parts afterward.

The snare first brought in at :53 was pretty weak; generic-sounding, generic pattern, and the sound of it just didn't fit the texture here. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what to change about it, but right now it sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe some other Js will weigh in on that.

I did like the arrangement of the main theme on acoustic guitar, but IMO it was pushed too far in the back behind the electric guitar and other sounds from 1:28-1:57. The bowed strings at 1:57 sounded ultra-fake as well unfortunately.

At 2:04, the usage of the source material was still buried way back until 2:19, but it was brief. The strings from 2:19-2:24 again sounded very mechanical. The sequenced acoustic guitar returned at 2:31, still sounding pretty mechanical. Some interesting ideas with the light, layered brass (?) samples from 2:41-3:10. The ending was pretty good; nice touch with the racing car SFX.

The overall texture was on the thin side, but if the various instruments had more realism to them, the textural thinness may have been less of an issue.

The arrangement got a lot out of the minimal source material, which was great. You mainly need to gain more finesse with the sample usage and sound balance to get things sounding their best. See what you can do about refining the snare drum, acoustic guitar and bowed strings and you'd be much further along. Good base so far, David.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Just got a PM from David.

Hi

I submitted my remix a while ago (R.C. Pro-Am 'Pure Ten'), and it's listed in the "to be judged" list. Since there are no dates in this list, and since the remixes are sorted alphabetically by game, there's no way for me to tell how far my remix has come in the queue. There are 40 remixes in the queue, so where is mine at, approximately? Has voting on it begun, and if not, how long, approximately, will it be until it does begin?

Thanks in advance...

Once the submission has been posted into the panel's queue, it can be voted on at any time by any judge. In your sub's case, I posted this to the panel on April 15th. So far, I'm the only one who has voted. You're definitely not the only track waiting this long, but I'll nag the rest of the panel to get movin'. Sorry for the wait so far.

WHATCHUGONNADO?

• 3 weeks later...

The sources were very short indeed, and this arrangement blends them all nicely. The guitar had a pleasant tone to it, although I found it too stiffly quantised, and so because of that it sounded somewhat unnatural. The beat that came in 0.44-0.59 with the guitar had a nice groove and pulled me in. Strings at 1.59 did sound very fake indeed, perhaps because of the reverb used on them? I think this does need some more tweaking to get it to sound better, but this was not far off the bar for me.

NO (Good candidate for resubmission)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not a bad track here. And like every other submission I've voted on, let me apologize to the remixer for such a ridiculously long time to get the voting process done. Busy and preoccupied as we may be, there's little to no excuse for our votes taking so long to come out.

That being said, I've been fairly impressed with this one, which is one reason my vote took so long. Usually I procrastinate the crud out of mixes where I'm closer to the middle than definitely YES or NO. I'm going to make this pretty short and sweet. You're arrangement is prety tight--I definitely have no complaints there. You've shown some good insight in the way you've used such short riffs from the OST and looped them as the base work for your mix. Props on that.

I'll get right to it, you're also correct as you predicted in your email that the production/mastering might be the downfall. I'm certainly not going to "shred" this one, though, but I am going to request that you bring the drums out. I'm fine with the kit/samples you've used, but they're way too far back in the mix. Try to give them a little more punch. And perhaps bring up the overall level just a bit. Seems like the whole track is being played over a distance. As far as instrumentation goes, I don't think I have any real qualms with your setup. Maybe I'd suggest more stereo separation in the electric guitar, and dropping that down a little, since the power chords are more for support anyway. Larry's right, the acoustic (which I really liked) gets shoved straight to the back during the loud parts.

So that's pretty much it. This IS definitely a great candidate for resubmission, and I'd love to see this get posted. Just minor tweaks, and I think it'd be fine for the front page.

I wish I had more time to offer feedback during the WIP stage, as I know I've already let a lot of people down that have asked for pre-sub-evaluation, but the fact is that I just simply don't have the time. I'm too far back on judging as it is. So basically, grab someone who you know has a good handle on how to mix and master levels, and maybe borrow some insight from them.

Bring this one back soon, David.

NO (please resubmit)