* xanZion

* Preston S. Bingham

* warning11@gmail.com

* www.myspace.com/djtraction

* http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u= 20301

Remix Info

* Game Name: Metroid (NES)

* Remix name: Kraid's Lair Reconstruction

* Original song name: Kraid's Chamber (Theme Song)

* Original Composer: Hip Tanaka, System: NES, Game Year Released: 1986

* Original Song Location: (you will need a fileplanet account to grab this.)

* Reason: Well to put it short and simple, I reconstructed this track for 2 sole reasons, 1 that I could not find a hard trance version, and 2 that this song really struck me as "amazing" when I first heard it as a kid. It was begging remix, so I decided after not finding it, to do it myself, and after many challenges, this is what we get. I am very satisfied the way it turned out, and hope that you enjoy it aswell.

Reconstructed with FL Studio 7.0.2, XXL Edition.

I was initially expecting the worse when I saw the mixer's description - a "reconstruction" of the original track. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it's not just a straight up trance adaptation of the original. It's got a decent level of interpretation surrounding the main source, eg. repeating certain parts of the riff over and drawing it out, playing with the chords, etc. I like the drum changeups and the automation on different parts.

That being said, it isn't passable yet for a few reasons:

* The production is crowded and muddy. Overcompressed with too much going on in the high-mids to highs.

* The way the lead is seqeuenced and arranged is awkward. It also wears a little thin over time.

* A lot of the sounds are pretty generic - not a big deal in and of itself, but when they're not executed well that's a problem.

* The synths don't really change much over the course of the song.

* Too much focus on drums + melody, not quite enough on harmony parts and chords.

* Nothing interesting happens in between repeats of the melodies. Where's the sweet breakdown?

* You repeat the main Kraid riff way too much. You need to vary it more, solo over the original progression, change the chords entirely, or add more of your own material.

* Tempo change at the end is awkward and really doesn't work well.. maybe if it was 1/3 as short.

Seems like a lot of criticism, but there was no shortage of promising things about this mix, and I really have heard a lot worse here. Don't be discouraged. I haven't seen you sub before so I'm assuming you're new to this. Just keep at it, listen to more recent dance/trance remixes on the site and get a feel for what our standard is. Participate on our forums too - if not Community, then at least WIP/ReMixing. :)

NO

• 3 weeks later...

This is tough for me. The production has some very sweet things going on, and the instrumentation is reminiscent of infected mushroom. My main problem with this track is compositional: the arrangement is fairly limited, and the adaptation to 4/4 psytrance is like jamming a circular peg into a square hole. It comes off as forced and akward. The track would be better off if you wrote an original melody.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 5

I was initially expecting the worse when I saw the mixer's description - a "reconstruction" of the original track. However, I was pleasantly surprised that it's not just a straight up trance adaptation of the original. It's got a decent level of interpretation surrounding the main source, eg. repeating certain parts of the riff over and drawing it out, playing with the chords, etc. I like the drum changeups and the automation on different parts.

That being said, it isn't passable yet for a few reasons:

* The production is crowded and muddy. Overcompressed with too much going on in the high-mids to highs.

* The way the lead is seqeuenced and arranged is awkward. It also wears a little thin over time.

* A lot of the sounds are pretty generic - not a big deal in and of itself, but when they're not executed well that's a problem.

* The synths don't really change much over the course of the song.

* Too much focus on drums + melody, not quite enough on harmony parts and chords.

* Nothing interesting happens in between repeats of the melodies. Where's the sweet breakdown?

* You repeat the main Kraid riff way too much. You need to vary it more, solo over the original progression, change the chords entirely, or add more of your own material.

* Tempo change at the end is awkward and really doesn't work well.. maybe if it was 1/3 as short.

Seems like a lot of criticism, but there was no shortage of promising things about this mix, and I really have heard a lot worse here. Don't be discouraged. I haven't seen you sub before so I'm assuming you're new to this. Just keep at it, listen to more recent dance/trance remixes on the site and get a feel for what our standard is. Participate on our forums too - if not Community, then at least WIP/ReMixing. :)

I haven't seen a breakdown that good (in terms of me agreeing with every point) in a while. Reread zircon's entire vote.

I agreed with Vigilante in the sense that sometimes the beat structure seems tacked on underneath, and that any melody could fit on top of it, making the beatwork not seem integral to the arrangement of the source material. An issue, IMO, but not an issue the whole way through.

In any case, you've got your laundry list of issues from zirc, and addressing most of his concerns would get this above the bar for sure. Good luck.

NO (rework/resubmit)