*NO* Super Mario Bros. 3, Super C & Contra '8-bit Fit'

Liontamer

Hello OC remix!

My name is Chris. I made this remix a while ago and showed some people and they told about your website. The song is called “8 Bit Fit” and is 3 of my favorite Nintendo songs of all time made into one 5 minute song in the style of aggressive metal with heavy electronic influences.

Here is all my required and other info:

My Info:

My remixer name is Chris Carnage

My real name is Chris Carignan

My email is chriscarignan@ca.rr.com

My website doesn’t exist (yet)

I do not have a user ID for your forums (yet)

My Remix info:

The games of the remix are: Super Mario Brothers 3, Super Contra, and Contra

The songs are: SMB3 – mini-boss level, Super Contra – Boss Music, and Contra – Final Level

All 3 games were for the NES

I’m pretty sure Michael Maezawa composed the SuperC and Contra Songs but I’m not 100% sure, I am not sure who composed the Mario 3 music either.

All of the original midis came from vgmusic.com

The inspiration for this remix came from me playing Mario 3 on my gameboy and noting that the music could easily be a metal song. From there I went through vgmusic in search of other music that would transfer to the kind of metal I like and found that SuperC’s boss music had a great riff and the final level of Contra was great from start to finish. All three of these songs were similar in tempo so they were easily made into one song. I imported the original midis into fruity loops and reworked the structure a bit to my liking and to make for better transitions. I wrote new drum beats for everything and finally learned to play the parts on guitar. After a few hours of recording and sequencing I had the song done.

Thanks,

-Chris Carnage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb3.zip - Track 22 [:00-1:06]

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/superc.zip - Track 10 [1:18-2:50]

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/contra.zip - Track 6 [3:19-4:41]

Phat intro, at least. Electric geetar at :02 was seemingly all about the mids. Why was the SMB3 Boss Battle melody shunted to the background with a boring monotone-ish lead (:28-1:06)? The sound choice there was poor; you need something that gels with the heavy guitar and drums here. Right now, that lone synth sound fugly and unmusical, 1:47-1:56 being a good example.

2:11-2:23 & 2:35-2:47 got super crowded with whatever you call that machine gun technique. :lol: Everything just kind of continued like this the whole way into the Contra section, relying on the power but sacrificing direction.

Unfortunately, just some super-rough, sloppy production that didn't make the best of things. Aside from conveying good power, the other half of the equation, balance, was clearly lost. I'm not sure why the melodic components were so quiet and such a non-factor, as you needed them to give direction to the piece. On the plus side, the performance on the supporting instrumentation at the foundation of the track was stronger.

You may want to spread things out more evenly among the rest of the frequency spectrum, so this doesn't sound so cluttered. The energy is good overall, but the end result sounds pretty sloppy, unmelodic, and aimless. Sorry, bro.

NO

• 2 months later...

I have to agree with Larry, this certainly has some nice energy, and a lot of the ideas are good in terms of instrumentation. However, the mixing/mastering is definitely off - pumping compression and weird balance that under-emphasizes melody and over-emphasizes mid freqs. Because the mix is so crowded it's hard for you to add anything more harmonically or rhythmically interesting... you know, like additional percussive parts, more synths, etc.

Production is the real problem here, so tune that up first. Once that's done (visit the ReMixing forum if you need help) work on an arrangement that incorporates more variation on the source tunes, and original material that connects to them. For example, soloing over a chord progression.

Good luck!

NO

well, you've got talent, there's no denying that.

the cluttered production is a huge distraction though, especially when the 16th note patterns kick in.

the snare doesn't carry any power, and the processing on the cymbals feels weird. everything is super compressed and the different elements bleed into themselves.

the performance/energy is great though. i think its a big stretch to call this "aimless," as LT does, but the arrangement needs more originality, and the production needs to improve to the point where the individual elements are easier to discern in the soundfield.

keep at it.

NO, RESUBMIT