Skies of Arcadia - Smooth Skies WIP

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always more negative than positive on WIPs. I don't know why. :(

0-1:04'= Nice string work. Smooth beginning.

1:05-1:32'= I like the slightly upbeat temple here. Very cool.

1:32-2:01'= Two issues here. The good news is the chorus is superb. Nice addition. The bad news is that both the flute from 1:32' and the string plucking around 1:48' is distracting and weak. The flute especially doesn't fit in with the rest of the instruments and effects in the piece. It's too faint and there's something wrong with the sample(almost too high pitched). Instead of the string plucking, try a light acoustic guitar maybe?

2:02- end= The piano sounds a bit stale(particularly on the deep note around 2:02'). Don't leave it out there by itself. I recommend you build into it for one final energetic "hurrah" combining the strings, chorus, and piano before fading the song away with a 5-10 second closing sequence.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice beginning.

* The oboe at the beginning is too loud/biting. Push it back a bit and double it with another instrument to keep the melody line strong.

* The french horn parts you have written are a little too busy/fast for the instrument. It would be possible to play by a professional, but unlikely to be written that way in the first place. I love french horns, but the part would be better suited to a trumpet if you wanted to keep it brass.

*Drums are a little to forward in the mix; pushing them back a little would cover up the somewhat midi sounding toms and bass drum.

*The piano breakdown near the end is gorgeous. More part-writing like that and this will be a winner. The rhythm on it was excellent.

*Flute is a little too piercing, and the guitar part would sound better an octave down. The samples at that range are a little too fakey.

*Ending was too abrupt and came too soon. I'd add more, hopefully in the style of the ending piano part.

Overall this is pretty sweet, but it needs a little bit more work. :-)

Overall, this is pretty nice work. Some points I'd like to mention:

- drums are too loud/dominating; try to tone them down a bit

- the flute needs to go or be replaced with something better; it's too quiet and too high-pitched

- I like the string plucking; adds sort of a mediterranean flair

- the piano does sound a little dry IMO

- ending is way too abrupt; I'd like to second nec5's suggestion about a "hurrah" kinda ending.